Two anti-war protesters disrupted a Hart House debate on Canada’s involvement in Afghanistan on Wednesday, as poli sci professor Clifford Orwin argued that a pull-out “will not placate the Taliban, but will embolden them.”

The student government led by speaker Ethan Hoddes argued that Canadian forces have no place in Afghanistan.

The “ayes,” or government side, headed by Adam Lazier and Richard Lizius, argued for Canada’s withdrawal, but asserted that Canada should still play a humanitarian role and instead wind down its military one.

Arguing that victory cannot be achieved through military force and Canada’s assistance through NATO is only a self defeating strategy that is fuelling the Taliban insurgency, Lizius said Canada should instead be a “neutral arbiter,” and attempt to bring the isolated Taliban into discussion with the Afghan government.

Speaking for the opposition, Chris Somerville and Nicola Langile said that Canada’s involvement has led to vast improvements in southern Afghanistan.

Langile cited the expansion of free press and the increase of women freedom, and their increased involvement in education. She maintained that Canada’s role “needs to be highly aggressive” and keeping foreign troops there has “forced the Taliban into a stalemate.”

Somerville went on to say that withdrawing at this point would decrease Canada’s credibility and reputation on the international stage. However the government side remarked that Canada’s reputation would be worse off if they remained in Afghanistan, because their invasion presented Canada as “imperialistic.”

When the floor was opened to discussion, most audience members who came forth eagerly supported the pull-out.

Hoddes soon shut down the floor for discussion because no one came forth to support the opposing side.

U of T political philosophy professor Clifford Orwin, the invited speaker at the debate, said that Canada’s withdrawal would add to the Taliban’s success and allow al-Qaeda to create a state within a state.

“Let’s get real!” said Orwin. “Soft power counts for something, but hard power counts for a whole lot more.”

During his speech, one protester openly confronted Orwin, shouting “Bullshit! Bullshit!” while he attempted to defend himself.

Orwin urged Canada to “think globally, act locally,” and sustain commitment until the February 2009 deadline. On a closing note, Orwin said Canadians must “be satisfied with adverting the worst” rather than expecting to save all the innocent civilians and restore peace to the war-torn region.

And despite the heckles, he exited the stage to a standing ovation.