While some politicians stayed close to their ridings this summer, NDP leaders Jack Layton and Olivia Chow chose to take a voyage far from home along the Nahanni River.

Touted the “Land of the Midnight Sun,” the Nahanni River in the Northwestern Territories is said to be one of Canada’s best northern river expeditions. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

However, industrial developments such as oil drilling, ore and metal mining are slowly creeping in. The most urgent threat to the ecological integrity of the Nahanni River is the proposed Prairie Creek Mine by Canadian Zinc. It would operate only 32 kilometres upstream from the current Nahanni park reserve boundary.

The company recently requested permission to reestablish road access across the Nahanni watershed to enable future mining. The permit is currently being considered by the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board. Geologists worry that the ecosystem of the Nahanni National Park and the World Heritage will be affected by the release of sulfuric acid from mining operations upstream.

The NDP and the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society are pressuring the government to expand the Nahanni National Park Reserve and halt all industrial activities until their impact on the fragile river system can be measured. On Thursday, Oct. 12, from 7-9 p.m. at Innis Town Hall, the NDP will present a panel discussion entitled Protect the Nahanni River: Stop the Mine.

In a phone interview, Chow spoke her mind on the tricky issue.

What would you like to see the government do about this?

Let me go after Harper! I would like to see Harper expand the Nahanni Park boundaries to cover the complete watershed. If you don’t protect the entire river area it will get degraded regardless. I have just introduced two motions in the House of Commons, one to protect the Nahanni, the other for withdrawal from the area for staking.

This is not just a Chow campaign or Toronto campaign but about supporting the Decho people who have been in the area from the beginning.

What other polices would like to see in place to safeguard the area?

There should be a comprehensive resource management plan. There should be a temporary withdrawal of any third party plans in order to investigate where the minerals and the most ecologically sensitive areas are before the government decides which areas could be mined.

Did you see any effects of degradation when you took your trip?

On the first day it was really eerie, there was a huge forest fire, the sky was completely red and it was raining ash. The forest fire demonstrated the impact of climate change upfront. There was also some huge flooding which forecasted the effects of global warming, and the locals folks told me it’s the worst they have ever seen.

What is the most worrisome issue to you in terms of possible environment costs if mining operations go forward?

Well the issue is not just about the Nahanni River. It’s about oil interests and leaving a greener future for Canadians. So the issue is really about human consumption and changing our policies to prevent further degradation. Although the Decho people are tempted for the sake of economic survival to buy into the big companies, they also know the environment is at risk.