I really want peace. I want it more than anything, and I thought there was some hope. But after reading Sana Ahmed’s article last week (Israel debate rages on, Oct. 10), I couldn’t help but feel that there is little hope left, and I’ve become discouraged.

As a Jew, I felt ashamed knowing that there was a group calling itself the Jewish Defence League that carried out an assault before the Coalition against Israeli Apartheid’s conference, against people with an “opposing view” on the situation in Israel. I apologize for the JDL’s actions; I hope that all Jews are not seen in this light.

I would like to point out that I am very sympathetic to the difficulties caused by the erection of the “wall” in the West Bank. I have heard many things that have led me to believe that it is a great obstacle towards peace and education, and I think that’s terrible. However, one cannot deny that the barrier has dramatically reduced the amount of suicide bombings in Israel.

Although I have much sympathy for the Palestinian people and those who have suffered because of Israel and its policies, I cannot feel for anti-Israel protestors who wear buttons that say ‘Fuck Israel,’ such as the one that appeared in the Varsity photo.

Upon seeing this button, I could not help but think how ridiculous the prospect for meaningful dialogue sounds. It’s too bad that the wearer of the button does not have the intellectual capability to make a point that would help the possibility of peace. Cussing is demeaning, opposed to creative thought, and usually stifling of any meaningful argument or debate. It gets you nowhere, and in reality, doesn’t mean anything.

I have a message to the wearer of that button: before you make another one on your button machine, think. Think about what you’re saying, and think about helping, not stopping, current political discourse on the subject of the Middle East.

Hero Azar, a student at the conference, was quoted as saying, “If we want to hit ’em where it hurts, then guide us.”

So, Mr. Azar, you want to hit me where it hurts? That sounds like a threat. You shouldn’t want to hurt us-we’ve been hurt enough. Calling Israel an “apartheid state” hurts. In fact, labelling hurts, and rarely helps promote dialogue.

You say you’re lacking direction in how to proceed, Mr. Azar? I have an idea: go to Israel. You should see what it’s really like before you make these ridiculous statements, and actually going there will open your eyes to the reality of the situation.

It’s really too bad that Salim Vally, the former member of the South African Student’s Movement who spoke at the conference, does not realize that almost everyone who believes in a progressive and modern political reality believes in a two-state solution. While it sounds nice, this one-state secular society that he proposed can never happen. This isn’t Canada.

The whole reason for Israel’s existence is to have a Jewish state for Jewish people, because we’ve been persecuted everywhere else for the past 2,000 years. I know that there are some in the Arab and Palestinian population who don’t like this, and they have good reasons, but to say that Israel should not exist is to say that Jews are forever condemned to persecution, which in essence takes us back to Germany.