Have you been inspi(red) to help in the fight against AIDS? International corporations and philanthropists like Paul Hewson (a.k.a Bono) and Oprah sure hope so. A sea of red has begun to ripple through North America, and early reports indicate that the (Product) Red campaign is already a huge success.

The campaign has put the spotlight on AIDS in Africa, but it has also provided evidence as to how commercialized our world has become. Consumerism has so defined our generation that in order to embrace generosity and selflessness, we must first be bribed with an iPod.

(Product) Red is a cooperative endeavour between corporations such as The Gap, Motorola, and Apple, and charity The Global Fund. The project’s aim is to raise funding for medical care for HIV-positive citizens in Africa.

The project’s structure is very straightforward. A selection of popular commodities such as cell phones, MP3 players, and clothing are supplied to the commercial market. A portion of the profit from each item sold is deposited directly into The Global Fund, which then uses the money to buy AIDS drugs.

The initiative sounds productive, but it also calls attention to many social problems.

A world of consumption and desire currently enchants us. As cell phones get smaller, so do our consumer brains. The line between “want” and “need” is blurred, leaving a society blinded by digital technology and fashion trends. It is not surprising that campaigns to help fight the world’s worst health crisis are now harnessing the appeal of popular culture.

Some may applaud corporations such as The Gap for setting an example for the rest of corporate America, but observers have also pointed out the company’s record in respect to human rights violations. In the past, The Gap has been plagued by accusations of operating sweatshops to produce their products. Does their participation in (Product) Red excuse these violations?

It could be said that I should simply accept AIDS relief however it may be obtained. Yet it is worrisome that we are depending on consumer trends to combat a health crisis that, with its twenty-five year history, is not going to disappear any time soon.

As of today, wearing a red t-shirt or carrying a red phone signifies one’s participation in the fight against AIDS. But as popular culture trends change over time, will the sea of red disappear?

In the (RED) Manifesto, citizens of the developed world are urged to “upgrade their choice” and buy from the sponsoring companies. It is my hope that those who do end up choosing “red” are inspired to continue their support beyond this campaign.

But there is another option-choosing to save lives directly. Organizations such as “Keep a Child Alive” are providing relief to HIV-positive children and their families, as well as to AIDS orphans. Instead of putting half your money into the pockets of corporate America, why not donate the whole amount to the children of Africa? You will not receive a red product as a thank you, but you will save more lives and feel good about yourself on the inside.

As the (Product) Red Campaign continues to sweep through North America, and red turns to green for large corporations, remember that you have the power to decide how best to donate to AIDS relief. Millions of people are dying from AIDS every year, and I have faith that the developed world will recognize the need for action and help solve the problem without receiving materialistic rewards.

As prolific as the Apple iPod is, it is not going to end the AIDS pandemic. But (Product) Red will hopefully open people’s eyes to the power they as consumers possess.