It’s not being moved by human suffering that sets Jason Globerman apart. It’s the fact that he is trying to do something about it, by helping combat the effects of AIDS in impoverished South Africa.

Globerman, a University of Manitoba graduate studying at U of T, has helped raise over $35,000 for South Africa’s Hillcrest AIDS Centre as part of the University of Manitoba-based Simunye Initiative. Simunye has no target sum, and raises money entirely by selling small handmade dolls from South Africa for $5 apiece.

The Hillcrest AIDS Centre is a non-profit, non-governmental organization, located in the KwaZulu Natal province of South Africa, which Globerman calls the South African region most affected by AIDS.

“It’s the one [place] that’s in the most need,” he said.

For Globerman, Simunye was “a way I can help at least one group” of people who are suffering.

Simunye was the idea of fellow University of Manitoba student Ilan Schwartz, a native of South Africa who worked at Hillcrest. Globerman has no personal connection with AIDS or South Africa, but says he got involved in the project for compassionate reasons.

Globerman has struggled to raise money since moving to Toronto. After raising $35,000 in a year in Winnipeg, he has collected only $1,300 for Simunye after two months in Toronto. Part of the difficulty comes from lack of volunteers and a support network.

Globerman proudly points out that all money raised by Simunye is given to the Hillcrest Centre. Donations provide home-based care, educational workshops, nutrition to combat malnourishment, and pay school fees for children.

Interested volunteers can visit Simunye’s website at www.littletravellers.net. As of next week, Global Aware stores will carry the dolls at locations in Kensington Market and on Queen Street West.