Soon after beginning his ambassadorship in Ottawa ten months ago, Gabriele Sardo made what he describes as “the most exciting discovery of my life.”

“I found that the Italian language, culture and lifestyle had survived, and thrived, not only in Toronto, but surprisingly in many other parts of Canada,” the Trieste-born ambassador told the Varsity.

Sardo hopes that a new exchange program, to be unveiled later this month by the Italian and Canadian governments, will provide many young people the chance to make their own exciting discoveries in a new land.

Vacanza Lavoro (loosely translated as “working holiday”) will see Canadian youths between 18 and 35 travel to Italy, and vice versa, for six month periods. Participants will receive consular support as well as a letter of introduction from their embassy enabling them to work, study, or simply soak in the lifestyle of their host nation, free of visa requirements and red tape. Dual language skills are not a prerequisite-in fact, having participants improve their second language is among the program’s main aims.

Unlike the SWAP program, designed to provide international work experience for students, the less restrictive Vacanza is designed “to suggest new opportunities” and let young people “experience Europe through Italy,” Sardo said.

“I resist having governments decide on behalf of youth,” explained Sardo, who would rather see young people have “total freedom to pick up whatever they think is appropriate” from the new culture, be that Ferrari or mosaics.

Near the U of T Italian-Canadian Association (UTICA) office at St. Michael’s College, students can always be found gathered round the gettone (foosball) table. Fred Caprera of UTICA would “absolutely love the opportunity” to explore Italy at his own pace.

“Things are just more easy-going there,” Caprera says. “You can pretty much walk everywhere, and the social aspect of just going to a piazza is something we don’t experience in Canada.”

Jeneefer Stanley, a Sicilian native studying at St. Mike’s, has this advice for anyone accepted into the program. “They should enjoy every single minute they’re there. In six months, you can do a lot, but you’ll also become refreshed.

“Italy just inspires you in so many ways.”