In memory of Ferenc Puskás (April 2, 1927 – November 17, 2006), 83 goals in 84 matches for Hungary and 869 goals in 882 matches for Honved and Real Madrid. A perfect case where statistics only tell a fraction of the story. Greatest goal-scorer of the 20th Century.

1. Lyon
    7-1-0 vs. Domestic League / 2-0-0 vs. Champions League

Here is a team truly in dominant form. We have yet to reach the midway point of the season and the French champions are already running away with their domestic trophy. Meanwhile, they are simultaneously leading their Champions League group. So impressive has Lyon been in Europe that their recent draw against Real Madrid at Santiago Bernabeau has been seen as an upset. Most clubs seem unable to cope with the blistering counterattack of Lyon as long as Juninho continues to haunt teams with his free kicks.

1. Chelsea
    10-1-2/3-1-1

While they may have secured a spot in the knockout phase, their route there has been far from convincing. A one-nil defeat at Bremen means that at the moment, head-to-head record with Werder Bremen is all that guarantees Chelsea a fixture in the next round. With the club still chasing Manchester United in the Premiership, it seems Chelsea are going to face a gruelling competition on all fronts. One source of comfort has been Drogba, who has finally found his goal-scoring boots. With him in top form, Chelsea is more likely than not to score goals and win games. There is still a lot of Russian oil in this gas tank.
3. Werder Bremen
7-3-3/3-1-1

Bremen’s attack-minded tactic is truly a joy to watch. From the onset it was clear that their level of play would hardly be matched in the Bundesliga, but to mirror similar success in the Champions League is truly remarkable. They now boast the prized scalp of Chelsea, but that victory may be in vain if they do not produce an equally stellar performance at Camp Nou against a desperate Barcelona side. Klose has been mentioned in a move from Bremen to Barcelona, and a match-winning performance might just mean that the demand, as well as the price tag, for the player might skyrocket.

1. Valencia
    5-3-3/4-1-0

With over ten major injuries to the squad, along with their star striker pulling out of the fixture against Olympiacos, the future is blurry for Valencia. However, one thing that is clear is they are in the knockout fixture, claiming the position of top dog in their group. This might not assure an easy opponent in the round of sixteen, but it does mean that Valencia can concentrate on their domestic matches and not worry about Europe for the time being. They also need David Villa back in their lineup as fast possible.

1. Barcelona
    8-2-1/2-2-1

The very real possibility of seeing the defending champions bow out of the competition in the first round looms large. The Catalonians have left everything hinging on their last home game of the group stage. Long-term injuries to Messi and Eto means that Barca are still toiling to find that finish that defined them much of last season. It’s time for the support cast to show their true value to this team. Gudjohnsen, Guily and Deco need to play at their highest abilities.

1. Manchester United
    11-1-1/3-0-2

They seem to be doing everything brilliantly in the Premiership, but the final one point to qualify for the knockout phase has proved to be elusive. United will be the first one to admit that they love to achieve the goals in a heart-stopping, last-gasp, highly dramatic manner, but this is too early in the season for that. All Red Devil fans are far too scarred from last year’s early Champions League exit to be forced to go through this drama again. And perhaps Cristiano Ronaldo could keep his composure when the open net presents itself.

1. Bayern Munich
    7-2-4/3-2-0

In efficient German fashion, they have gotten the job done and qualified for the next round. Munich must be one of the few teams that, while struggling in their own league, have managed to bring all their European experience to the fore and dispatch the lesser-known clubs swiftly and without hesitation.
8. Inter Milan
9-3-0/3-0-2

It seems Inter finally woke up. They have managed to qualify, but with a meagre nine points. This Italian giant can little afford to rest on its laurels. With a challenge failing to materialize in the chase for the Scudetto, the club can seriously focus their energy on the coveted Champions League Trophy. Roma fans can disagree with me all they want, but the proof is in the pudding.

1. Arsenal
    6-4-2/3-1-1

Even with CSKA Moskva shocking the league by defeating Arsenal, they are still tops in their group. But things could go ugly fast. A draw in their last match and a win for CSKA in theirs could mean three teams on eleven points. With goal difference deciding both qualification spots, goals have never been more important. Cue Thierry Henry.

1. Real Madrid
    8-2-2/3-1-1

With teams getting a Rudd awakening in the La Liga, Madrid seemed to have found the form necessary to move on to bigger and better things. Alas, their dismal-to-dramatic performance against Lyon suggests that this team still needs to search for its permanent class and not rely on its temporary form.
11. Celtic
13-1-1/3-0-2

Dominant in the Scottish Premier League, it now seems they are handing out a helping of haggis to Europe as well. After guaranteeing qualification in Glasgow the Bhoys from Parkhead are going to go into match day six in pursuit of winning the group outright. If Celtic are to find themselves higher in this ranking then they need to do more in away games. Come on lads, at least get a draw!

1. Liverpool
    5-3-5/4-1-0

They aren’t doing well domestically again, and last time they did that they won the Champions League. While three key players fell to injury in a 2-0 PSV Eindhoven, the verdict-that Liverpool is impossible to read-remains the same.

Editor’s Note: This writer cites lack of interesting development in the Serie A (lack of talent and no new match-fixing scandal) and the done-and-dusted group of AC Milan for its glaring omission from the list.