Marked more by strong singles than masterpiece albums, 2006 didn’t see any major shifts in mainstream or underground currents. Minor movements like rock’s renewed interest in the shoegazer sounds of the early 90s, and the continued rise of electro coupled with its successful fusion with street-level hip-hop were enough to instill a faith that the current trend of independent innovation and pop perfection is still going strong. In Toronto, the local scene is still burgeoning with bands like Tokyo Police Club, Fucked Up, Born Ruffians and The Coast all poised to take on bigger markets in the coming year. So without further ado, here are JORDAN BIMM’s picks for last year in music.

Top Ten Recordings of 2006

1. TV on the Radio – Return to Cookie Mountain (Interscope) Because first single “Wolf Like Me” was the best song of 2006, but also because this Bowie-approved NYC outfit has found the line between indie avant-garde and music that’s actually entertaining.

2. Tokyo Police Club – A Lesson in Crime (Paper Bag) Rolling Stone named this local quartet’s third best song (“Cheer it On”) the 47th best song of 2006. Strangely, their undeniably infectious stand-out track “Nature of the Experiment” failed to make the list. What gives?

3. Hot Chip – The Warning (DFA) Bedroom electro perfected. Singles like “No Fixed State” and “Over and Over” will have a welcome home on indie dance floors for years to come.

4. I Love You But I’ve Chosen Darkness – Fear is on Our Side (Secretly Canadian) Containing a serious contender for best rock single of the year (“According to Plan”) Austin Texas’ ILYBICD makes up for their unwieldy moniker with a collection of downtrodden hits in the vein of Disintegration-era Cure and Gang of Four.

5. Fucked Up – Hidden World (Jade Tree) Just as their feud with Billy Talent cooled, these locals veterans released Hidden World, their debut LP and a welcome throwback to 80s hardcore.

6. Uncut – Modern Currencies (Paper Bag) Toronto’s best dark-rock outfit channel J Mascis on “Dark Horse,” and Jim Reid on “Kiss Me.” Jake who?

7. Cities in Dust – Night Creatures (Paper Bag) Hardcore, meet indie rock. Now fight.

8. Cadence Weapon – Breaking Kayfabe (Upper Class) How rough can Edmonton be? This razor sharp indie rapper uses humourous rhymes and skillful production to fill us in, and landed a Polaris nod in the process.

9. The Coast – S/T (Aporia) These U of T shoegazers are on the up and up thanks to this splendid Brit-influenced EP. MTV recently called them “Canada’s best kept secret,” an appropriate title now, but one which certainly won’t last.

10. CSS – Cansei de Ser Sexy (Sub Pop) Brazilian hipsters cracking jokes about Paris Hilton and Death From Above over wicked electro beats. What’s not to love?

Honourable mentions: Malajube – Trompe-l’œil, Thom Yorke – The Eraser, October Guard – S/T, Anagram – After Dark, The Gossip – Standing in the Way of Control