U of T skates to Varsity Cup win

Behind the formidable goaltending of Brian Grinnell, Men’s Hockey (12-6-0) defeated Laurier 4-3 to cap a 3-1 T Bay Tell Varsity Tournament performance. Held in Thunder Bay’s Fort William Gardens, the Dec. 30 final matched the Canadian Interuniversity Sport seventh-ranked Hawks (13-4-1) against the Blues for the third time this season. Laurier has lost each time.

Grinnell went 3-0 between the pipes for the Blues, and was named goaltender of the tournament thanks to his 96 saves and 2.67 Goals Against Average. U of T defeated Laurier 2-1 Dec. 27 in the first game, Lakehead 6-4 in their second, before dropping a 2-1 defeat to Calgary Dec. 29.

Leading the Blues’ offence were forwards Simon Barg, who accumulated four goals and four assists, and Anthony Pallotta, who netted four and dished out three.

In recent action, U of T recovered from a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Queen’s (4-9-4-1) Friday by claiming a 5-1 victory over RMC (5-12-1) here Saturday.

The Blues have a home-and-home this weekend with Ryerson (1-16-1). U of T skates on its home ice Saturday.

-Christophe Poirier

Women’s basketball heats up, wins last three

With flailing RMC (0-14) visiting this Friday, U of T (6-5) will host second-place Queen’s (7-4) Saturday on their hottest streak of the year.

Over the weekend, the Blues came and conquered the two teams from Ottawa, claiming a 67-47 victory over host Carleton (2-8) on Friday before toying with Ottawa (2-8) in their backyard en route to 72-39 win Saturday. Forward Christine Cho and guard Alaine Hutton each had 31 points over the two games for U of T.

-C. P.

Men’s Basketball drops two squeakers in Ottawa

U of T (5-5) continues to lose the close ones, adding two more to the loss column this weekend. Four of their five losses have been by three points or less.

Facing Carleton (10-0) Friday, the Blues were defeated 56-59, before losing 58-59 to Ottawa (9-1) Saturday.

U of T hosts RMC (1-9) and Queen’s (7-3) this weekend.

-C. P.

John McManus, former Blues coach, passes away

John McManus, who coached Men’s Basketball for 28 seasons, passed away November 29, 2006 after a courageous battle with cancer. He was 88.

Born in 1918 in Milestone, Sask., John served with the RCAC during World War Two, spending three years at various Fighter Command bases in England. Following the war, he enrolled in U of T’s School of Physical and Health Education. He went on to compete for the Blues as a pitcher in baseball, a high jumper in track, and was an all-star in basketball, leading U of T in scoring in 1949-1950.

John became the head coach of the men’s basketball team in 1955, and in two years, led the Blues to a 9-1 record and their first Wilson Cup championship in nearly twenty years.

He retired from the position after the 1982-83 season, amassing a career record of 174 wins and 152 losses. He also was an assistant football coach for nearly 25 seasons.

John’s last message to his family and friends was “Get in shape and keep fit!” He is survived by his daughter, Kathy.

-C. P.