Former U of T Men’s Soccer coach Carmine Issaco has resigned to become an assistant coach at Toronto F.C. Anthony Capotosto was named the team manager’s in his stead.

Varsity Blues director of athletics Liz Hoffman said in a press release Friday that the Blues were thrilled to have Capotosto take the position.

“We feel it will be a smooth transition for him and are confident in his abilities to lead the team while maintaining our established standards of excellence,” she said.

A four-time Blues team captain and two-time all-Canadian during his playing days, Capotosto was an assistant to Issaco for the past two seasons before accepting his new role.

Before taking the position on the Major League Soccer team, Issaco coached two years with the Blues, leading them to a 15-4-5 regular season record, as well as a CIS silver medal in 2005 and two OUA silver medals in 2005 and 2006.

While Issaco leaves a program with strong success, Capotosto should make an easy transition to the top position, thanks to his extensive knowledge of the team. An all-star in each of his five seasons with the Blues, Capotosto took the OUA East MVP awards in 2000 and 2001, and captained the last Blues team to with the league title in 2002.

He still holds two team records for most goals by a defender in a game (3), and in a season (7). A graduate of U of T’s Faculty of Arts and Science in 2002 with an Honours B.A., Capotosto earned his B.Ed. at OISE in 2003.