I must admit that I never used to be a big fan of Oprah. It seemed to me that her talk show focused simply on the rich upper class.

Maybe I just hadn’t watched enough episodes. When the launch of her $40 million school in South Africa (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls) this January led me to read snippets of her biography, I fell in love with Oprah’s story. Here is a woman who overcame serious childhood obstacles to attain prosperity and a high level of self-esteem.

To see such a person rise from rags to riches is one thing, but to see Oprah leave the comfort of the U.S. to create comfort for poor South African kids is a feat of charity yet to be equaled.

Now under normal circumstances I’d just thank Oprah and silently wish her continued good fortune. But when I glanced at the magazine rack near the counter while grocery shopping, I burned with rage. A front page story to the effect of, “Shame on Oprah for insulting American kids by building a $40 million school in Africa” sparked my anger, as did Anderson Cooper’s CNN program 360, in which he did a special edition on Oprah’s work in South Africa. Cooper referred to the project as a school unmatched anywhere in Africa, but also pointed out that there are poor kids in the U.S. too.

Why is it shocking that Oprah should build a multi-million dollar school in South Africa? South Africa, like any other African country, has the potential to build (and fill) great schools, given the right political circumstances. While I deplore the corruption found in some African governments, I suggest that he without sin cast the first stone. It is high time that the wealthy American government cared for its own inner-city youth, and that the average person became more tolerant of those who are extraordinarily humane.

Thanks, Oprah-you’ve truly earned my gratitude.