Facing three of the league’s top teams in their next four, Men’s Basketball (8-6) will make or break their playoff chances in the next two weeks.

Travelling to Queen’s (9-5) and Royal Military College (1-13) this weekend, the Blues will then host Ottawa (11-3) and Carleton (14-0) the following week, in a stretch that will cement their reputation, either as a team to be reckoned with, or just another team.

Currently in fifth place in the Ontario University Athletic East, the Blues are almost a lock for the postseason. The top six teams in a division of eight move on, and with RMC and Laurentian (3-11) floundering, U of T practically has their ticket punched. The next 14 days could be a preview of what this team is capable of once the regular season ends Feb. 17.

Over the last 14 days, however, the Blues have been one of the best teams in the league, winning their last four. Their biggest win took place under the rafters in the Athletic Centre Saturday, as U of T upset York 89-61.

The Lions (9-5) came in as the Canadian Interuniversity Sport’s tenth-ranked team in the nation, but they were no match for the Blues’ trio of Dwayne Grant, Ben Katz and Mike Williams, who combined for 44 points, 13 rebounds and ten assists. U of T was able to smother the Lions with a pressure defence that forced 17 turnovers.

The York outcome was nearly a carbon copy of the victory the Blues posted the previous night, routing Laurentian 83-59. U of T kept the Voyageurs to less than 32 per cent shooting from the field.

Last weekend, the Blues jump-started their current winning streak by posting a 75-55 victory over RMC Jan. 12, before squeaking out an 83-76 overtime win over Queen’s the following night. The win was a revelation for a team that had until recently dropped the close ones. Five of U of T’s six losses have been by three points or less.

The Blues took a six-point lead into the second half, but Queen’s came back from behind to close the gap. The Golden Gaels tied it at 72 by the end of regulation, thanks to their scalding shooting from the land of three, with Queen’s guard Ryan Hairsine hitting four of five beyond the arc.

The Blues were led by Williams, who scored 20 points and 11 rebounds, and Katz, who notched 15. Guard Mike De Giorgio was also crucial for U of T, as six of his ten points came as free throws in crunch time.