On Jan. 12 2007, the Toronto Star credited David Beckham with captaining Manchester United to the treble (winning the English Premiership, the FA cup, and the European Championship) in their illustrious 1997-98 season. I read in astonishment, unable to believe that such a fallacy had been printed for widespread public consumption.

Before I say anything else, let me first cleanse the tainted history the Star is selling to its readers. While Beckham was England’s favourite son, it was Roy Keane who was captain, and indeed, champion within the walls of Old Trafford.

What should North America know about the man whose perfume advertisement smoulders over us all at Toronto’s Eaton Centre? Soccer star or entrepreneur? Figure of ridicule or legend?

The Beckham saga has drifted so far into fairy tale that he features in the latest batch of Disney advertisements, which are due to appear in the March editions of high-end magazines such as GQ and Vogue. Indeed, Beckham would be better suited to the role of a modern-day Rumpelstiltskin than Prince Charming.

The positively glistening Beckham, who is set to arrive in Toronto on Aug. 5 in Major League Soccer play, is a far cry from the man who debuted stunningly in the Premiership by scoring from the halfway line in 1996.

Having become, arguably, the world’s most recognizable sports personality, Beckham has just signed a contract with L.A. Galaxy worth more than $250 million-the most lucrative player contract in sports history.

Why is Beckham so maligned? Cynics have gleefully reacted to Beckham’s decision to leave the intense spotlight of European soccer for the relative backwaters of the MLS, comparing him to a long line of illustrious athletes with underwhelming career endings, such as Paul Gascoigne and Mike Tyson.

Criticism notwithstanding, Beckham’s attempt to “cross the great divide” will not necessarily mean descending from his exalted status. Certainly, it is a gamble. However, if “Golden Balls” has shown anything of himself, it is that he a marketing genius.

Notwithstanding the man’s aesthetic allure, “Brand Beckham” has equipped itself with the stewardship of such renowned promoters as Simon Fuller, the man behind the Pop Idol phenomenon, and Robert Sillerman, whose company CKX owns the majority of image rights to Elvis Presley and Muhammad Ali, amongst others.

It is not hard to see why Beckham gets sponsorship deals with companies like Adidas, Pepsi, and Motorola, while endorsing his own fashion label and football academies.

Anyone with any experience of Beckham’s cultural influences can scarcely be surprised at his decision to move to the States. Indeed, when he is not modeling contemporary European fashion, Beckham can regularly be found wearing basketball attire and listening to Notorious B.I.G.

What has surprised analysts is his decision to depart when he still seems to have much to offer the European game. However, at 31, Beckham’s commercial value will never be higher in Europe. On the other hand, L.A. will provide Beckham with the American exposure he needs. With regular new enterprises, Beckham may well defy the sands of time to continue his domination of the sporting economic ladder.

Both Beckham and L.A. Galaxy President Alexi Lalas have acted quickly to dispel notions that money is the sole motivation behind the move. Beckham is a universal role model, and rightly so. Beckham inspires children, who live to emulate him and aspire to match his achievements. It is not a revelation, then, that his upcoming Disney ad is entitled “Where imagination saves the day.”

U.K. sketch comedy shows may parody Beckham as a dunce, but Beckham’s worldwide success owes itself in no small part to his charisma. He speaks of soccer with nobility and integrity, and Beckham talks with the same passion about his family and, to a lesser extent, his religion.

He will never be regarded as the world’s best player, but do not be fooled into believing his talents are anything less than sublime. While revered for his famous right foot, Beckham should be equally venerated for his work ethic. He plays with heart as well as style, and above all, there is honesty to his effort.

North America be advised, this man is no fable. Beckham is the real deal.