U of T sweeps OUA swim meet

Earning their seventh consecutive team title, U of T Swimming dominated the opposition to capture this year’s Ontario University Athletic banner last weekend. The Men tallied 985.5 points, over 300 points better than second-place Western’s 557, while the Women scored 1085.5, nearly 300 better than second-place McMaster’s 795.

The Men had 31 OUA all-stars as well as seven first-place finishes, while the Women had 38 all-stars and 12 gold medals. U of T’s Women’s coaches Byron MacDonald and Linda Kiefer both shared the title of Coach of the Year with Andrew Cole of McMaster.

-CHRISTOPHE POIRIER

Women’s Hockey travels before post-season start

After having clinched a spot in the OUA playoff tournament earlier this month, Women’s Hockey (12-5-3-1) faces three road tests to close the season. Visiting Windsor (5-11-5-0) Saturday and Western (9-10-1-1) Sunday, the Blues travel to Waterloo (7-8-3-2) Feb. 24.

U of T is currently ranked eighth in the nation by Canadian Interuniversity Sport, and is one point behind Queen’s (13-6-1-2) 29 for second in the league. Laurier (18-2-2-0) is in first with 38 points.

Last weekend, the Blues hosted Brock (6-10-3-1) Sunday, and posted a 4-1 victory on the Badgers behind Katie Dowdall’s two goals. The day before, U of T was able to hold on at Guelph, dispatching the Gryphons 2-1. Blues goalie Stephanie Lockert had 35 saves in the win.

-C.P.

One Blue selected to 2007 Canada Winter Games

U of T’s Alana Thomas was selected to represent Team Ontario in the 2007 Canada Winter Games in Yellowknife. Thomas is to compete in the cross country skiing event. Hopefully, she will stay in her good form, as she recently won a gold medal as a member of the Blues Nordic ski team in the first race of the university nordic season. Thomas also co-captains the Blues mountain biking team.

-C.P.