Women’s Hockey in OUA Frozen Four

After a two-week hiatus, Women’s Hockey (15-5-3-1) will take the ice against Queen’s (11-11-1-1) in an Ontario University Athletic semifinal match Saturday at Western University.

If the second-seeded Blues post a victory over the third-seeded Golden-Gaels (14-7-1-2), they will face the winner of the other semifinal game between Guelph and Laurier the following day. If they post a loss, they will still play on March 11 in the Bronze medal match.

The Blues were named the sixth-best team in the nation by the Canadian Inter-university Sport rankings, but are 1-2 this season against Queen’s. The last time they faced each other on Feb. 4, Queen’s defeated the Blues 3-1. U of T won the previous game 3-2 in overtime Oct. 29, but this came a day after they were defeated by Queen’s 2-1.

Queen’s made it to the semis after they posted a 3-1 victory over the visiting sixth-seed Waterloo (8-11-3-2) Saturday. Forward Michelle Clark-Crumpton, fourth in the league with 23 points, leads a Golden-Gaels offence that is third in the OUA in goals scored per match at 2.91, and averages a goal per power play.

U of T does have a stalwart between the pipes in goalie Stephanie Lockert, second in the league in both goals allowed per game and save percentage, at 1.44 and .944, respectively. She also led the league in shutouts with seven this year.

Track finishes with 19 medals, eight gold and two MVPs

At the OUA Track and Field Championships last Monday, U of T took home 19 medals: eight gold, three silvers and eight bronzes.

The Women’s team finished third overall with 114 points, while the Men placed fifth with 74.

Leading the Blues was Megan Brown, who continued her amazing season by setting a U of T and OUA championship record in the women’s 1500 metre at 4:19.78. Brown also anchored the 4 x 800 m relay team of Laura Elmhurst, Leane Heale and Mary Heine, which garnered a first-place finish. The women’s 4 x 400 m team of Heale, Heine, Kate Rudeiger and Tory Merrill also brought home the gold.

In the men’s events, Spencer Morrison’s finished first in the 3000 m, while Mark Stewart’s 8.06 seconds was best in the 60 m hurdles.

In field events, Suzanne Fish and Doug Creighton swept pole vault golds, while Sarah Boyle won the women’s high jump.

Stewart was named the OUA’s Track Event Most Valuable Player, while Brown received the Dr. Wendy Jerome trophy, given to Most Valuable Female Performer at the league’s championships.

Robert Watering named Rowing coach

In what may revamp a team that finished sixth in this year’s OUA championships, U of T rowing replaced departing four-year manager Gary Stinson with Robert Watering Monday.

Watering began rowing in 1986 at St. Catherine’s, and was a member of Canada’s Senior A team during the 1991 and 1992 World Rowing Championships. He began his collegiate coaching career at Queen’s in 2001, and under his guidance Women’s heavyweight eights and doubles finished first in the OUA. Two years later, he won the Women’s league Coach of the Year award.

In 2004, Watering changed to the Men’s team, and after numerous successes with the lightweight and heavyweight divisions, including three titles, he won the OUA 2004 and 2006 Men’s Coach of the Year award.

Women’s Volleyball’s
Mila Miguel wins CIS award

Fourth-year hitter and two-time OUA all-star Mila Miguel received the 2006-07 CIS Thérèse Quigley Award, which recognizes excellence in volleyball, academics and community involvement.

The U of T co-captain averaged 3.31 kills and 3.88 points per game this season, all while leading the Blues to the final four in the league championship series. Miguel also boasts a 3.25 GPA while pursuing a physical and health degree, and is a member of the Golden Key International Honour Society. She volunteers at the Hospital for Sick Children and was a participant in GuluWalk, a fundraising walk aimed at helping children in Northern Uganda.

Miguel is just the third Blue to receive the honour, following Sarah Hogarth in 2000-01 and Diane Campbell in 1995-96.