Conspicuous among the gothic towers atop Hart House stand two peculiar antennas, whose wires wind their way down to the unobtrusive nook that, unbeknownst to most, houses the Hart House Amateur Radio Club.

The radio shack, little larger than a janitor’s closet and only reachable from a special outdoor entrance, contains four different radios. Forty U of T amateur radio operators, or hams, operate these between classes, trying to contact other operators across distant frequencies.

Ham radio has been around as long as radio itself. Initially, enthusiasts broadcast and received on all frequencies, but after the H.M.S. Titanic sank, the U.S. congress restricted ham radio to a small range of frequencies, clearing the air for essential services.

While this century-old method of long-distance communication may seem obsolete in a world of instant messaging, 13-year veteran ham Jordan Zarembo insists it has its own charm.

“It’s like learning an instrument,” he said. “It’s an art.”

“Amateur radio is diverse enough to accommodate different interests,” said Hantwell Fong, another HHARC member. “I was drawn to amateur radio because I want to build things (hardware and software) and amateur radio lets you do that. Then there are new things to learn along the way.”

The club frequently hosts guest speakers to discuss different aspects of the hobby. On Monday, Ann Nutter, former president of the Canadian Ladies Amateur Radio Association, spoke about some of the finer points of amateur radio she has picked up over her 50-plus years as a ham.

Nutter introduced herself with her call sign (VE3 HA1) and called herself a YL or “young lady,” which is ham code for any female radio operator. After her lecture on YLs’ contributions to amateur radio, one attendee asked her if ham radios can really be considered relevant today.

“If you have to ask that,” she replied, “then I haven’t done my job.” She pointed out that when electricity goes out in emergency situations, radios can be used for life-saving communication.

In 2003, 12 amateur radio operators in Kelowna, B.C., kept in constant contact with stranded residents during a massive forest fire. Amateur radios also give housebound individuals a chance to communicate with others.

On top of its practical uses, Nutter described how the practice has a personal touch that is lacking in computers.

“There’s nothing like hearing the voice over the radio,” she said.

But most contacts via ham radio are not exactly lively conversations. Hams search certain frequencies where they know other hams operate, and send out signals asking anyone to respond. When contact is made, interaction is often limited to the exchange of information such as their call sign, location, and type of radio.

“It’s more about contact than effective communication,” said Zarembo. Most radio clubs hold an annual field day, which is a contest to see who can make contact with the most hams over a 48-hour period.

Other hobbyists, called DXs, travel to small Pacific islands and other remote locations to try to make contact over the longest possible distance. Their radio signals can travel for thousands of kilometres.

Despite the club’s fairly small membership, Zarembo can think of at least one reason why any stressed-out student might want to give it a try.

“Ham radio is a great way to relax,” he said. “I don’t know how I would keep my sanity in grad school without having some form of recreation a few hours a week.”