Many a time have I sat in class doodling or actually fallen asleep while listening to supposedly fascinating lectures. I do genuinely find my subjects interesting, and I’m not lacking for sleep, so to use boredom or fatigue as excuses for my distracted behaviour would hardly be fair.

The truth is, professors can sometimes make terrible teachers. These hardworking academics are positively engaging one-on-one, but some can’t function in front of a group. It’s not that they lack sufficient knowledge, but when that monotonous drone begins, and the lighting in the room dims, I just sink into my seat and have a little nap. I’m sure many of my fellow students sympathize.

I am often told that university is a place of self-learning, where one has to be motivated and seek out information alone. Yet I believe we have the right to demand professors who are not only knowledgeable and whose research is dynamic, but who are also good teachers. Considering the hefty fees we pay, I certainly do not think this request is unjustified.

As students, what can we do to ensure that our professors are decent communicators? Some professors already have tenure, so we must enjoy the good and endure the bad. However, regarding those professors who do not have tenure, students can exert a certain degree of influence.

Tenure is awarded on the basis of three criteria, as listed in U of T’s “Policy and Procedures on Academic Appointments” (which can be found on the Governing Council’s website). Candidates must exhibit achievement in research and professional work, clear promise of future academic and professional development, and effectiveness in teaching. This last criterion is determined by assessing the degree to which professors stimulate and challenge their students, their ability to communicate effectively, and the level of mastery they have achieved in their subject areas. But how can the university’s administrative bodies decide whether a professor communicates and teaches effectively in the classroom?

Recall those terribly tedious survey forms students are required to fill out towards the end of the term. These student evaluations, as well as signed opinions submitted by individual students, are considered-if they are available-by Governing Council in determining whether or not to grant tenure. At least, this is what the policy on academic appointments calls for.

The survey results also form the basis of the evaluations found in the ASSU Anti-Calendar, even though professors can opt out of having their evaluations published there. Considering the importance students place on these reviews when choosing courses, however, all results should be posted in the Anti-Calendar, irrespective of the professor’s preference. Granted, some students might give unfair reviews to their professors if they receive poor marks, but I sincerely believe that if more students were aware of the importance of these evaluations, the results would become more accurate.

So next time you fill out those surveys, put some thought into your responses, because they do influence decision-making. Students deserve to help decide who will teach them, and our collective voice will have an impact.