For U of T student Michael Goncalves, making the grade will take on a whole new meaning over the next few months. While many graduating students will be getting ready to hear their names called to receive their diplomas this summer, Michael has already received the call he’s been waiting for since he was ten years old. After being chosen 41st-overall by Hamilton in the CFL Draft, the religion and classical civilizations student will soon face a test that no classroom could have prepared him for. Training camp opens on May 29, during which Goncalves will go from battling boys on the gridiron, to receiving an education from the “school of hard knocks” courtesy of the best players in the CFL.

After not receiving an invite to the CFL evaluation camp in 2006, Goncalves used the oversight as motivation to improve as a player.

“I took it as a challenge,” he said. “Whether it’s playing on the offensive or defensive side of the ball or hustling on special teams, I am ready for whatever lies ahead.”

The two time East-West all-star and Silver T award recipient credits much of his success to U of T coaches Steve Howlett and assistant Joe Rumolo. The two encouraged Goncalves, and taught him what it would take to make it at the next level. Rumolo was a linebacker for the very same Tiger Cats in 1971, which Goncalves admits added a certain comfort level when Hamilton picked him.

“I have always liked Hamilton,” he said. “But having Coach Rumolo as my defensive line coach swayed me more towards the ‘Steel-City.’ I am basically trying to follow in the footsteps of one of my mentors.”

The news of Goncalves’ selection should come as bright light following another dark season for the Blues, who haven’t won a game since 2001. Goncalves’ talents stood out despite his teams record. Tiger cats General Manager Marcel Dejardin’s describes him as, “not real fast but really quick with a non-stop motor.” Goncalves, who mostly played defensive end with the Blues, is considered on the small side as far as linemen go, listed at just 6’0 245 lbs. Nonetheless Dejardin’s sees potential in the U of T grad: “We see him as a contributor on special teams potentially, as well as converting him to fullback.” Changing positions would be nothing new for the U of T product who played numerous positions in high school: “I actually tried out for quarterback but ended up playing running back at St. Michael’s College School. At U of T I was converted to a defensive lineman.” It is this ability to adapt that allows Mike to envision a real future in the CFL: “I believe I have a chance to make the team based on my work ethic, attitude, and versatility.”

It has been an exciting May for the U of T standout, but the experience has been a humbling one nonetheless. Unlike many of his fellow graduates who will soon join the rat race, Goncalves will be granted an opportunity to do what he enjoys. “I have been playing football for over ten years and will always continue to have it in my life, whether it is playing or coaching,” he said. “Not many people get the opportunity to play the sport they love and actually get paid for it.”