They’ve heard it over and over again, and it’s one broken record they’ll be glad to hear the end of as the season draws to a close.

Following Saturday’s loss to the Western Mustangs, an eerie silence surrounded the Varsity Blues. Considering all the fanfare and hype that the game, played in front of 5,350 at TD Waterhouse, has engendered over the last few weeks, one couldn’t help but wonder, “Who died?”

No one, unless you’re counting the dead horse that media types have been beating ad nauseum in recent weeks. By Monday there were no more questions pertaining to the now-historic losing streak of 48 consecutive games, no more excessive coverage and redundant articles. Who would have thought that talking about a broken record would have turned into such a broken record itself?

Now with loss number 48 officially in the history books, the vultures can officially move on to their next story and the team can begin concentrating on football once again.

“Much adversity has been placed on the team from many sources,” said Blues player and Ticats draft pick Michael Goncalves. “The media, injuries, and negative talk have all been issues, but when I read the newspaper or watch the news, any negative media about the team only fuels me to play harder for the guys next to me, because we’re all playing the sport we love.”

Goncalves, one of the most senior players on the team, is a leader on a young Blues squad. Despite his arguments to the contrary, the streak must have weighed on both players and coach this season. With weekly reminders from every self-respecting journalist this side of the Edmonton Sun, how could they forget?

The season’s closer against Queen’s this Saturday is expected to be a quiet, low-key affair—a far cry from previous games. This development is not unlike what happened during Barry Bond’s march towards 758 home runs. Once he passed that magic number, the media vanished faster than a tiger in a Siegfried and Roy act. Like Bond’s record-setting feat, the Blues would also like a caveat placed on the infamous number 48.

“An asterisk should be placed beside the losing streak record because it doesn’t tell the whole story. We have come out each and everyday, giving 110 per cent,” Goncalves said.

“I have made great friends over my five years at U of T, and have grown as a player. There are too many positive things that have happened for this losing streak to defi ne our team.”

While an asterisk is not a likely option, Goncalves and his teammates should take solace. Today’s newspapers will be used to line tomorrow’s litter boxes, to the huge relief of the team as they try to bury this stinker of a season in the past.