This past Saturday thousands of people in over 100 cities across the world marched during the annual Guluwalk to show their support for the Acholi children of northern Uganda. The walk, founded in Toronto only two years ago by Adrian Bradbury and Kieran Hayward, has grown to be international in scope, and was recently named one of the world’s best fundraisers by New York-based Non-Profi t Times.

Bradbury and Hayward made headlines in 2005 when for the entire month of July they walked 12.5 km into downtown Toronto to sleep for four hours in front of City Hall, only to then march back home. During the month they also continued to work full time. While sleeping outside City Hall the two friends faced freezing temperatures and numerous run-ins with Toronto’s rodent population.

As many as 40,000 Acholi children walk throughout the night every night of their lives to large towns such as Gulu for a safe place to sleep. Those who don’t walk risk being abducted, raped or even killed by the Lord’s Resistance Army, a rebel guerrilla army notorious for its use of child soldiers.

Since that fateful month, GuluWalk has grown tremendously. In 2006, 300,000 participants in 82 countries raised over $500,000. The charity has continued to grow in 2007. On February 22, the group organized its first ever Guluwalk Gala.

Speaking on the large stage erected at Metro Hall during the conclusion of this year’s walk, Bradbury urged the crowd to “take a risk and do that one more thing for northern Uganda” by phoning or emailing their MPs, and pressuring the Canadian government to publicly support peace in northern Uganda.

Some MPs have already begun to take notice. NDP Trinity-Spadina MP Olivia Chow was present to say a few words. “Peace cannot be talked down. It has to be from the grounds up, from the community,” she said, going on to argue that with respect to Canada’s role in the 21-year conflict, “we have to pressure our government to say that this is critically important, we have to push the peace process through the UN.” Her call for Canada to allocate 0.7 per cent of its GDP to foreign aid was awarded with a large roar from the crowd.

Almost everybody at the walk was sporting the organization’s bright orange T-shirts, proceeds from the sales of which to Guluwalk programs. A band played traditional African music and the atmosphere was electric. “Can you image walking the walk we just did in the middle of the night, in a much more harsh environment every single day, and doing so for the sake of your own life?” one woman asked. “I really feel like I am making a difference in the lives of these children and so does Bella,” she added referring to her canine companion.

A Guluwalk delegation will be going to Uganda in November.

Visit guluwalk.com for information on how to get involved before next year’s walk.