While the opening ceremonies of the Global Conference on the Prevention of Genocide at McGill University presented a shocking personal perspective of mass murder, it was the following two days of panel discussions that would provide the most insight into the complex history, makeup and irrational success behind the subject of genocide.

From Oct. 12-13, various panels discussed subjects like the role and responsibility of business, involvement of international administrative bodies, the place of civil society, and the media’s impact on genocide awareness. Subjects centered on genocide prevention, and acknowledgment of current problems, allowing for comparisons between past events and the current torture in Darfur. From the beginning, the assembly of esteemed international representatives focused on the work youth are playing in preventing genocide.

The 35 youth hosted by conference patron Gordon Echenberg and McGill University’s Center for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism held that focus. The International Young Leaders Forum held a week of workshops and roundtable discussions on how to prevent genocide and improve human rights.

The youths’ impact was shown, dramatically, when they participated in the conference’s closing discussiona joint panel between the Young Leaders Forum and three of the conference’s most well-known speakers: Sir Shridath Ramphal, Salih Mahmoud Osman, and Roméo Dallaire. It was here that the young leaders presented a declaration entitled “Responsibility to Prevent.” Responding to the long-held concept of “responsibility to protect,” the declaration details genocide’s history and reasons for existence, and lists the group’s plans for future endeavors.

The conference’s closing statement was endearing and valuable in setting a mission that keeps close watch on human rights issues of the present and future by addressing the concerns of genocide’s affect in the past.

The declaration concluded with a call for a future only possible with further involvement from others.

“Our commitment is not limited by time or place. Our success will be measured by atrocities that do not occur. Out goal is a world without genocide. We cannot succeed alone. We ask that you hear us and join us.”