Halloween, for many, is a ghoulish night of dressing up, staying out, and, most importantly, stocking up on free candy.

But, other children—who make up 41 per cent of food bank recipients, according to the Canadian Association of Food Banks—go hungry.

This All Hallows Eve, get ready to embrace your inner child and once again bang on your neighbours’ doors for victuals, and for a good cause.

The Trick or Eat food drive will have costumed students roaming university neighbourhoods, collecting nonperishable food and raising awareness about how communities can help feed those in need.

U of T’s Trick or Eat event is organized by the Hart House Social Justice Committee and Meal Exchange, a student-founded charity that tackles local hunger. Their other programs include collecting points from student meal plans to purchase food and gathering clothes for local food banks, shelters, and drop-in centres.

“A lot of people don’t understand what it would be like to be hungry while going to class,” said Pratima Arapakota, HHSJC executive and Trick or Eat coordinator.

Trick or Eat has collected over $1.5 million’s worth of food on 50 campuses nationwide since its 1993 launch, according to its website. Half of this year’s donations will go to the U of T food bank, with the other half benefiting the Scott Mission, a non-denominational Christian street mission.

So skip the grown-ups’ bash for a couple of hours—you can party any day of the year. Strap on that old Ghostbusters gear lurking in the back of your closet and banish a real-life bogeyman—hunger.

To volunteer, email [email protected] or show up at Hart House on Wednesday, Oct. 31, starting at 5:30 p.m.