Rachel Lissner

First Year Political Science and Near and Middle Eastern Studies

Why did you choose Near and Middle Eastern Studies as a major?

I spent last year in Israel abroad, and then I volunteered. After spending time there, I’m much more critical of what I see in the news. I was just reading an article about coexistence in Haifa and it describes Israel as a troubled nation—but Haifa is the most peaceful place I’ve been in the entire Middle East. There are four religions there and no problems. Going to Israel didn’t make me more religious, but I did lots of things I’d never done before. I can’t say it really changed me, but it was nice to be among people who have the same culture. It’s really the only place in the whole world where you’ll find that.

What branch of Judaism do you subscribe to?

My family belongs to the Conservative movement. It’s different in the States— I’m American—but it contains a broad spectrum, from those who lean towards reform to those who are ‘conservadox.’

What are some of the differences between branches?

Conservative Jews keep stricter dietary laws. I’ve been out with Reform Jews and they’ll get a cheeseburger or shrimp or pork or whatever. I have Conservative friends who do, but I also have friends who keep completely Kosher households. I have friends who are completely nonobservant, but on Shabbat, won’t turn on lights, or go swimming or shower because they may put water on the ground, which encourages things to grow, and you can’t do that on Shabbat—because that’s work.

What’s it like being Jewish at U of T?

I knew there was a large Jewish presence on campus, but I was surprised that it’s not as involved as it could be since there are a lot of commuters. I know at York, Jews get the High Holidays off. I was shocked that U of T doesn’t do that. I’m also surprised that U of T doesn’t have more Kosher options, or even any at all.

What do you enjoy about being Jewish?

I like the culture, the beliefs, the languages, the humour, the food, the people, and everything about it. It’s not a culture that’s always in your face. It’s not like every time I hang out with my friends we open up a Torah passage, but I know people who do—whatever floats your boat

Tommy Lam

Second Year Pharmacy

Your background?

I was born in Hong Kong, and moved here when I was nine. My parents are Buddhists. The religion was carried on, but wasn’t imposed.

Does meditation help in student life?

I think of meditation as an Eastern way of discipline. You have to be in touch with your inner soul. When you become a monk, you must become vegan, you cannot drink any alcohol, to give way to the ‘other life.’ You have to get yourself ready.

What is your own religious view?

Personally, I’m agnostic. When I was in high school, I was open to taking different courses, so I took philosophy. I read different philosophers and took their points of view to heart. From there I’ve leaned towards agnostism.

As a science student you question everything, through didactic theory and scientific methods, and you get an answer. Similarly, I can see that parallel in agnosticism. It’s not that I am rejecting the idea of religion, I just don’t know enough to say I know.

Would you say that religion does more harm than good?

It’s like technology. You can make it to improve people’s lives, and certainly religion can do the same thing, but it also has the power to affect lives negatively. Religion can be a very bad thing. You hear of cults all over the world, conducting mass suicides. As a person of reason you think: who are these people that can do something like this? You’ve got all these questions. Is it that fault of organized religion or the fault of the person who is leading the cult?

What’s stopping you from making the leap to atheism?

I had a philosophy teacher in high school who told us to consider an idea: when a person says to you ‘there is a God,’ does that not imply that he knows enough to be one?

Every time someone comes along with a new theory and says ‘this is what religion is supposed to be,’ how do they know better than the average person? This was imparted to me and it stuck. The leap to atheism is something I haven’t been able to make. I simply cannot say—I am no philosopher.

Karleen Murrain

Third Year Ecology and French

What is your background?

I was born and raised Catholic. I went to Catholic school my entire life until I came to U of T, and it sucked religion right out of me.

What happened to your faith?

It was a gradual fade away. As I learned about other things, my other beliefs grew, and my faith in the church diminished.

What was the biggest sticking point for you?

Same sex marriage is probably the biggest reason. I have a lot of friends who are gay.

How did your parents discover your waning faith? It was more in our discussions that they realized I wasn’t following the church… and when I told my dad I didn’t believe in God. Second worst day of my life.

What do you think about organized religion?

The problem with organized religion is that when you’re born into it, you automatically believe because it feels so natural. I find many people weren’t given a choice.

When you are in Catholic school, and all your friends are Catholic, you don’t even think about the other people who don’t celebrate Christmas.

What can one get out of church?

Organized religion brings people together, but sometimes it can go too far. I was in a youth group, and met a lot of friends through church. I played Jesus in an Easter play. It was ridiculous. It was a modern adaptation.

Do you think about God?

For me right now, organized religion is not the way I am going to go. But I do think about God and how the world came about. But I don’t think that something can come from nothing, and maybe that driving force, you could put a name to it, and call it God. I don’t really think about it as ‘oh, there is a God.’ I think of it more as the beauty in this world. It’s not just physical beauty.

In the end?

I am definitely not one of those people that believe religion because of my parents. I want to find something that I can believe in, and I’m still trying to figure out exactly what that is. I guess I am agnostic.