Men’s hockey (7-8-0-1) was looking to generate a winning streak this weekend against Carleton on Friday and McGill on Saturday. The Blues, losing five games by one goal and unable to create more than a two-game winning streak, are having a rough year. Still, U of T is only three points out of first in the Mid-East Division.

The Blues beat the Carleton Ravens 5-2 Friday night, led by Brendan Sherrard with three assists and Anthony Pallotta, who continued his strong play with two goals and an assist.

“We’re just taking it one game at a time. We don’t want to think too far ahead and only worry about the next game,” said defenseman Darryl Simich.

“We just have to keep working hard,” added forward Alex Nagribianko. “We are making the plays we are supposed to, but we have to play better defensively in order to prevent odd man rushes.”

Dan Brewer opened the scoring for U of T after a cross crease pass from defenseman Brendan Sherrard. Sherrard outskated the Ravens defender for a loose puck trailing into the corner, and found an open Brewer right in front of the net.

While they outplayed Carleton for most of the first period, the Blues went into the intermission tied 1-1 after a wrist shot by Ravens defenseman Adam Marriner squeaked by goalie Andrew Martin.

The Blues dominated play throughout the second, and put up two in the frame, both on the power play.

“Good puck movement is what allowed our power play to work so well tonight,” Simich said.

Coach Darren Lowe was partially satisfied with the team’s performance. “We are getting most of our production from our first team’s power play unit. Problems are coming from getting the second unit up to the same strength,” he said. “We practice the power play two times a week, mainly focusing on what isn’t working.”

Anthony Pallotta netted his first on the night on the power play, going five-hole from the left circle after the Blues moved the puck well in the Carleton zone. Joe Rand made it 3-1 after he tipped in Sherrard’s point shot top corner glove side.

That was all the Blues needed that night, as Carleton made it 3-2 going into the second, and third-period goals from Pallotta and Mark Heatley added some comfort to the U of T bench. Goaltender Andrew Martin got the win, making 29 saves.

“Martin has played really well being a first-year goalie. He has adjusted better to the game, and we hope his play can continue,” Lowe said.

On Saturday, the Blues continued their strong play, beating McGill 5-2 and extending their winning streak to three. Anthony Pallotta had another two-goal night, netting one on the power play and one shorthanded. Mc- Gill outshot U of T 44-22 in the game, but Rand preserved the victory with two empty net goals in the final two minutes of the game.

The Blues won’t be back in action until the new year, but they’ll return to play four straight games on the road against Ottawa, Waterloo, Western, and Laurier, before heading home on Jan. 17 to play divisional rival Ryerson