The assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto on Dec. 27 has left many Pakistanis trembling from the shock of her death and the uncertainty that has succeeded it. Even though I have no direct relationship to Pakistan or even the Middle East, even I’m left troubled about the the region’s future.

Given my lack of personal ties, I’ve decided to talk to the students on campus who do have such connections. Reactions have been anything but apathetic. “Bhutto was a symbol of democracy, and despite death threats, decided to return to Pakistan to fight for something she believed in” said Alina Rashid, co-president of the U of T Pakistani Student’s Federation. “I feel that even living thousands of miles away, every Pakistani in the world is feeling the loss of a martyr of democracy,”

“For me,” adds continuing studies student Safia Habib, “the fact that she was prime minister of a Muslim state, and a woman, was incredible. We all expected [her assassination], but it was still a shock when it actually happened.”

Students without personal ties have also put forth interesting insights, given their emotional distance. Second-year political science and history student Jeremy Andrews remains cautious about the events. “I am, by nature, highly skeptical of the ‘official’ story when big events occur overseas. I am aware of the West’s prior interference in the matters of other states, and it usually fosters doubt. I can only speculate at what might have been occurring behind the scenes.”

In the wake of the assassination, shock has been superseded by apprehension, as the future of Pakistani democracy remains uncertain. “My fear right now,” said Rashid, “is an endless cycle of military dictatorship if emergency rule is once again reinstated and the country is bullied out of democracy.” These are not unfounded fears as President Musharraf has shown little interest in upholding democratic tenets such as free elections, party pluralism or civil rights.

But is democracy in Pakistan dead? Perhaps Bhutto’s death may serve as an impetus for those who wish to continue the dream of democratic reform. Given the outpouring of regret for her death, it might not be surprising to see a revived passion for democracy spurred on by the desire for retribution. The country’s love for Bhutto, combined with their hatred for Musharraf, is a telltale sign that authoritarianism is nearing its end. Granted, one must always be speculative of the story told by the mainstream media, but the circumstances nevertheless seem straightforward.

Baliwal Bhutto Zadari, the new leader of the Pakistan Peoples Party and Benazir’s son, spoke appropriately when he said that democracy is the best revenge. The next few weeks will decide if the nation and its popular leaders will crumble from this blow to their cause, or rise up to defend Bhutto’s legacy and demand a better future.