‘Culture of silence’ endangers Toronto’s youth

new report paints startling picture of daily life in our city’s schools

Aviva German

Last week’s release of the School Safety Report on Toronto’s public schools has brought forth some startling information. According to the report, cases of sexual abuse, robberies and possession of dangerous weapons are rampant in school hallways. But the biggest problem is that these crimes are continually swept under the rug.

The report details how a “culture of silence” has permeated the school system, accusing teachers and administrators of letting crimes go unnoticed for fear of reprisal and damage to the school‘s reputation. Even those guaranteed anonymity have refrained from aiding authorities and bringing forth justice.

In his report, Julian Falconer, the head of the School Safety Advisory panel, made it clear to Torontonians that this blatant disregard for student safety and well-being is unacceptable. The panel has compiled a list of more than 120 recommendations, including random locker searches, the use of canine units for sniffi ng out lockers and storage areas for drugs and weapons, and hiring full-time counselors for at-risk schools. Many have praised Falconer and his panel for fi nally breaking through the seemingly impenetrable veil of silence. One of those who’s lauded Falconer is Lorraine Small, mother of 15-year old Jordan Manners, the student who was gunned down last May in the hallway of C.W. Jeffreys Collegiate Institute.

Granted, the advisory panel has outlined some promising solutions, but these are temporary fi xes to a widespread problem. While it’s crucial to address the risks facing students in our schools, it’s even more important to address their underlying causes. Many are quick to point their fi ngers at the youth themselves as the cause of crime in areas like the notorious Jane and Finch neighbourhood, but as Falconer stated at his press conference, “Nothing can be further from the truth.”

The spread of poverty and violence has imperiled many neighbourhoods outside of Toronto’s downtown core, while the city continues to tackle what was once considered an “urban” problem. Many youth are raised in extremely hostile environments, witnesses to domestic violence and drug abuse. Worst of all, those who grow up in impoverished areas are rarely able to break through the cycle of poverty and violence. A life of drugs, gangs and crime, to those who have for so long felt disengaged from society, is a means of engagement.

The report’s proposal to heighten security and penalize those who bring weapons to school or assault fellow students is a sound one. A school is a place of learning, and should be a safe haven for all. Students should come with open minds, toting textbooks, not handguns. But to establish any long-term results, we must empower teachers and parents by providing them with the resources they need to inspire at-risk youth, instill positive values and above all, discipline. Enriching the curriculum with a diverse arts program would have tremendous effect for those who are looking for an outlet of self-expression. Funding for so-called “non-essential programs” has been slipping over the years, but artistic encouragement can be one of many fundamental tools to curb violence and restore confi dence. Toronto’s cash-strapped schools need the means to invest in nurturing programs and services, not just locker searches.