The days leading up to the Texas and Ohio presidential primaries were full of sheer excitement and anticipation. Senators Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama shifted their campaigns into high gear, trying to woo the electorate while dishing out some nasty blows. As countless media outlets, pundits, and Bill Clinton himself put it, the two primaries were “do or die” for Hillary. Not so shockingly, she walked away from Tuesday’s primaries with three wins, damaging Barack Obama’s momentum in this campaign.

Senator Clinton managed to narrowly escape elimination, but only by marginal leads. In recent days, she has gone on the offensive, citing Obama’s eloquent oratory as simply “talk and no action.” She’s accused him of plagiarism, criticized his stance on NAFTA, his business dealings with former real-estate developer Tony Rezko, and, everyone’s favourite: his lack of experience. Her recent television ad, reminiscent of the red phone used in Walter Mondale’s 1984 campaign ad, preys on the vulnerability of children and women’s fears for their safety. While Clinton’s tactics may have lent a hand in sweeping Texas, Ohio, and Rhode Island, it’s worth noting that throughout this bitter race for the White House, Clinton’s tone and personality have seen many ups and downs.

From bold and brassy to modest and classy, Hillary Clinton has toyed with many personas, and used her role as a woman in politics to portray herself as a victim in a world run by men. During an intimate gathering in New Hampshire, Clinton became emotional when asked about her passion for the country. This touching moment brought her first primary victory in New Hampshire, where she was lagging in the polls. Weeks later at a televised debate in Texas, she hurled accusations at Obama for allegedly plagiarizing a speech, while professing the utmost respect for him. During a campaign stop in Ohio, she publicly blasted Obama for releasing inaccurate fl yers that distorted her position on NAFTA, crying “Shame on you, Barack!” The latest incarnation of Hillary Clinton has spoken of open skies, rays of light, and celestial choirs, all in an attempt to mock Obama‘s message of hope. If she was trying to be funny, she failed.

Hillary Clinton launched a campaign that was at first full of potential, dignity, and maturity. She shares many of the core democratic principles as her male counterpart with a virtually identical platform. Almost immediately, she captured the frontrunner status, while the then-unknown Illinois senator consistently remained in second place. Over time, Barack became known as the underdog of the presidential elections, but he has always had one advantage over his opponent. Obama’s ability to use his speech, not underhanded political tactics, to lure voters and transcend across all races, ethnicities, and religions, has truly struck a chord with the American people. He doesn’t come with a lot of political baggage, compared to Clinton, who’s spent much of her adult life in the political arena as a governor’s wife and First Lady. Hillary’s had to endure criticism from both parties, experiencing humiliation and scandal. Although she claims to have more experience, Obama has actually been a State Senator since 1997—four years longer than Clinton—possessing an extensive resumé, including 10 years teaching constitutional law, working as an attorney, and as a community organizer. While Clinton was First Lady, she led the way to create universal health care for children and addressed international women’s rights. These contributions have surely left a lasting impact, and as a woman who broke through the glass ceiling, she remains an inspiration for many. But with her campaign and record on the line, the last thing she needs to do is wage war on her rival. With news of Obama contemplating harsher attacks, Hillary needs to find the right voice to deliver her message and restore solidarity within the Democratic Party.