Threats, fines, and weeks of campaigning— it could all have been for nothing if the Bubble plebiscite turns out to be a colossal waste of time.

UTSU’s election officials have advised that the results of this month’s bubble vote be tossed out. The plebiscite on whether or not to fund operations of the Varsity Centre was a nonbinding referendum in which 56 per cent of students supported the permanent levy of $18 per year to fund the Varsity Centre’s operation costs.

UTSU’s Election and Referenda Committee reached the decision at a marathon meeting that concluded late on the evening of Sunday, March 2. ERC chair Faraz Siddiqui confirmed that the committee had determined that pro-levy Yes campaigners had exceeded their $2,000 limit on campaign expenses. The campaign ran four quarter-page colour advertisements in The Varsity. “I respected that limit with a maximum total spending of $1955.64 on our campaign,” said Masha Sidorova, who led the Yes campaign. Sidorova said this number included $1,800 for the four ads, which were bought through an agency. The Varsity does not disclose individual ad rates.

The ERC, however, ruled that they would consider only the normal market price of the advertisements.

The decision was made just over a week after the ERC fined and penalized No campaigners for sending a coercive email to members of the Unite U of T slate.

UTSU is not required to accept the ERC’s recommendation, nor are they required to act on the results of the plebiscite. “I am confident that this recommendation will be revisited and defeated at the Board meeting on Monday. I trust that the Board will respect the results of the plebiscite as they were achieved in a fair manner,” said Sidorova.

The levy must be approved by the Council On Student Services, whose 17-member voting board includes four UTSU representatives. If UTSU does accept the outcome of the vote, these four will vote in favour of the levy. APUS and GSU, who together have four representatives on COSS, have said that they will oppose the levy regardless. The seven individuals representing administration have a history of supporting ancillary fee increases, and can be expected to vote for the levy.

UTSU’s representatives are expected to be the deciding votes on the otherwise deadlocked board.