The Democratic presidential contest intensifies with every passing day. It’s those who whine about the prolonged process that extend the race. As cutthroat as the competition between Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton appears to be, the primaries are extraordinary assets to their campaigns, as well as the party. Each of the candidates has accumulated record amounts of money and voter turnout from state to state, effectively outnumbering Republican support. The invigorated Democratic electorate has shown, and continues to show, that this long and drawn-out process isn’t limiting their enthusiasm one bit. Democrats are eager to reclaim a country that has suffered at the hands of the current administration, and they’re not ready to give it over to another Bush clone.

The presumptive GOP candidate, Sen. John McCain, holds overwhelming similarities to the current president and his unsuccessful policies, conjuring up visions of a third Bush term. It’s obvious that he’s not running a campaign of change like his rivals. That could explain why he hasn’t been as prosperous as the Democratic contenders, or why the energy and enthusiasm of McCain supporters is incomparable to those of Obama and Clinton. The ideas he has put forth lack the idealism of his opponents, and have yet to resonate with voters. Extending the Iraq War for another 50 or 100 years doesn’t sit well with Americans or with the struggling, war-torn economy. His hopes of proclaiming victory in the bloodied region are unattainable, despite a surge in troops. Along with his recent displays of incompetence in regards to foreign policy in Iraq, many scrutinize his claims to expertise in foreign affairs.

On the other side of the political spectrum, Senators Obama and Clinton have faced tough criticism from rival camps, Republicans, and media pundits. Both candidates have had difficulty trying to overcome the racial and gender stereotypes that are deeply entrenched in the American psyche. Obama has opened up new levels of dialogue to bridge the gap between conflicting racial groups. Clinton has proven that, despite challenges imposed on her as woman, she possesses the leadership skills to make her a formidable candidate. While they have have miles to go before the showdown at the Democratic National Convention in August, upcoming primaries in Indiana, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania are shaping up to be highly climactic races.

Senator Clinton had a substantial lead over her rival in Pennsylvania for a while, but as the campaigning for blue-collar votes heats up, Senator Obama is inching higher in the polls. Recent numbers place them in a statistical tie, but polls tend to fluctuate like the temperature. It’s too early to assume a winner, but we can say for certain that this year’s highly-contested primary process is putting democracy through a rigorous obstacle course. Americans have every right to challenge, scrutinize, and pick apart these candidates. Voters see two individuals who have a common vision in improving healthcare and education, stabilizing the weary economy and initiating troop withdrawal from Iraq. Now it’s just a matter of selecting the best candidate to unite the nation across partisan lines. This is perhaps more difficult than casting a ballot in November, but I’m confident that the electorate will choose the most qualified individual to defeat Sen. John McCain. If they don’t, they might end up with George Bush 2.0.