Frosh Week is almost over, but not all first-year U of T students have had the opportunity to partake in ice-breaker events. As the Muslim holy month of Ramadan overlaps Frosh Week this year, some Muslim students have been reluctant to participate, says Richard Chambers, director of the Multifaith Centre.

Observing Muslims will fast from sunrise to sunset for the entire month. That might be hard to do considering barbecues are staples of Frosh Week.

“A lot of Muslim students in the past have not attended Frosh Week, myself included,” said Ilyas Ally, president of the Muslim Students’ Association. The inaccessibility of halal food options make for an environment not all students are comfortable with, he said. But fasting is not the only reason why many students have chosen not to participate, said Ally, “Muslims want to be more engaged in worship during the month.”

Muslims follow a lunar calendar which is ten days shorter than the solar one, which means Ramadan falls at a different time each year. Last year Ramadan started a week later and thus did not conflict with Frosh events.

Chambers said that Frosh Week is not the only thing first-year Muslim students are missing out on. “Some aren’t even going to the dining hall regardless of the orientation events, and thus they are missing an important social opportunity,” he said.

However he was also quick to praise the MSA and UTSU for efforts to accommodate Muslim students. These groups have invited students to break the fast at Hart House at the end of Clubs Day. He expressed disappointment, however, with individual colleges’ efforts.

According to Chambers, the lack of an overarching body for frosh events earlier in the week has contributed to the difficulties faced by Muslim students. Friday is organized by UTSU, whereas the individual colleges were responsible for the rest of the week. “Clubs Day is a happy marriage between orientation opportunities and religious accommodation” he said.

Ally said colleges have been “somewhat interested” in letting Muslim students know where to find prayer spaces and halal food.

Woodsworth College Students’ Association has a notice on its website announcing accommodations for those who are fasting. WCSA social affairs VP Heather McCann said that frosh week will feature dinner after sundown throughout the week, and that a student lounge was made available for prayers during the week.

Both Ally and Chambers said that there is still room for improvement and a more coordinated effort. “It’s just a matter of being more intentional,” said Chambers.