Food is one of the most unifying international goods. A small part of Japanese cuisine, sushi is arguably the most popular Japanese dish internationally. The beloved rolls originated in Edo (now Tokyo), Japan as a fast-food item in the mid-19th century.

There are two forms of sushi roll—nigiri and maki. Nigiri is composed of vinegared rice, wasabi, fish, hot horseradish, crab and egg. Maki is a roll of rice wrapped in seaweed with a fish filling. Raw tuna, prawn and salmon are commonly found in sushi, served with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi.

Sushi includes some essential food groups, while being rich in omega-3 fatty acids, low in fat and high in protein. In particular, sushi made with salmon is low in saturated fats and cholesterol. The seaweed wrap contains a multitude of minerals necessary for proper hormone function, including iodine, magnesium, calcium, and iron, as well as antioxidants and folic acid.

Unfortunately it’s not all good news when it comes to sushi. It’s known to have covert calories, with sodium-loaded condiments. There are also many risks associated with eating uncooked fish, such as exposure to bacteria, parasites and viruses. The safest tuna found in FDA studies is maguro, as it is least likely to be infected with roundworms. The most dangerous type is salmon, due to a cold smoking process that does not effectively kill parasites, leading to severe intestinal conditions.

Additionally, tuna and salmon contain many industrial chemicals, including mercury, dioxins, pesticides and PCBs that have been dumped into open waters. Sushi is said to contain a “cocktail of chemicals” that could reduce fertility, learning capability, and lead to cancer. According to Professor David Carpenter, environmental health scientist at the University of Albany: “If you eat a meal of salmon sushi more than twice a year, you will increase your risk of cancer. The contaminants found in fish often overpower its beneficial effects. People think they’re improving their health by eating sushi but they are in fact poisoning themselves.” Once eaten, these poisons remain in the body. In Professor David Carpenter’s study, 15 poisons were found in high amounts, 13 of them carcinogenic. The rising popularity of sushi is also associated with the destruction of the world’s remaining great fisheries; several species of tuna are now on the brink of extinction.

While most know about the risks associated with enjoying sushi, many would rather savor their California rolls in peace. Remember to leave the preparation to professional sushi chefs, who are trained to handle uncooked fish. Minimize your mercury exposure by eating fish lower on the food chain than tuna, such as catfish. Also, try to balance out your sushi meal by including lots of veggies—avocado, cucumber and shiitake mushrooms are standard in most sushi restaurants. Itadaki-masu! (Bon appétit!)