The end of baseball’s regular season was exciting to say the least. We saw another collapse by the Mets, who were eliminated from postseason play on the last game of the season by the Marlins. We also saw another tie-breaker game. This year, the White Sox and the Twins battled for the top spot in the AL Central. The White Sox ended up coming out on top allowing them to pursue postseason glory.

However, as great as the regular season has been, it’s over. Now is the time when baseball becomes the most interesting. It’s playoff time! On this note, here’s a preview of the great Division Series match-ups:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Boston Red Sox vs. Los Angeles Angels

Of all the playoff series to watch in the divisional round, this is the best. Both of these teams are favored to capture the World Series crown. For these two heavyweights to be facing each other in a divisional round almost seems disappointing. However, the match up is set. There’s nothing anyone can do about it other than watch and enjoy the tremendous display of baseball that this series promises to offer.

Both teams excel in nearly every facet of the game. Pitching-wise, the Angels are more balanced. All five of their starters are tremendously solid and can pitch deep into games. Their bullpen—headlined by the single season save record holder Francisco Rodriguez—is even more intimidating. Yet the Red Sox pitching staff, while not as well balanced, sports one thing that the Angels wish they had. Josh Beckett has been the best postseason pitcher in recent history. Even though he is coming off an injury, there’s no reason to doubt his super-human ability to pitch his best in October. If Beckett comes out pitching the way he did last October then the Angels will have no choice but to concede that game.

Offensively, the Red Sox have an impressive lineup, highlighted by AL MVP candidate Dustin Pedroia. However, the loss of Manny Ramirez will certainly hurt the Sox because there’s no longer anyone in the lineup who can truly protect David Ortiz. That huge thump that Manny brought to the table will be missed. Against the Manny-less Sox, the Angels look better offensively. After acquiring Mark Teixeira from the Braves mid-season, the Angels have been unstoppable. Like the Red Sox, the Angels can manufacture runs in a variety of ways. Yet the Angels have Teixeira’s bat to protect Vladimir Guerrono in the lineup, and therefore look more threatening than the Sox.

This series will go the full distance, but ultimately, the lack of a Manny Ramirez will hinder the Red Sox. With those big bats in the middle of their lineup, the Angels are a more complete team. If the Red Sox still had Manny then this series would be a whole different ballgame. However, without the Manny and Ortiz combination, the Angels will win.

Prediction: Angels in five

Chicago White Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays

This series sports two Cinderella stories. The Rays, who were the only team in baseball to never make the playoffs, came out of nowhere at the beginning of the season to capture an early lead in the AL East. Many believed that this type of magic was merely a fluke and that the Rays would eventually come back down to earth. However, the Rays silenced the naysayers as they continued to impress throughout the regular season, ultimately beating the Red Sox and capturing the franchise’s first AL East title and first post-season berth. For their part, the White Sox have also worked magic this year. After finishing at the bottom of their division last year, they were not expected to have a stellar season. However, Ozzie Guillén rallied the troops, got his team playing great ball, making it into October once again.

This series promises to be interesting. In one corner, you have a young team that has never before played under the bright lights of October. In the other corner, you have a veteran team that won the World Series no less than three years ago. The logical choice in this series would be the White Sox. They’re a team comprised of really good veteran players like Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome, and Ken Griffey Jr., as well as some extremely talented young players, in particular AL MVP candidate Carlos Quentin and Alexei Ramirez. Their pitching staff, while not spectacular, is solid and pitches well enough to allow the big bats in their lineup to come alive and secure the win. There’s really no reason to doubt the White Sox.

If the Sox were facing any other first time playoff team (if there were any), they’d be the clear favourite. The Rays however, are no ordinary team. Throughout the year, the Rays have been expected to fail, but that only fueled their success. The Rays seem to savour being underestimated. It makes them play with a chip on their shoulder to prove that they are legitimate contenders. This mentality will continue throughout their postseason play. They have the lineup to compete with the White Sox; lead by AL Rookie of the Year candidate Evan Longoria, Carlos Peña, and Carl Crawford. Their pitching staff can also contend with the White Sox. Scott Kazmir has been a legit ace for years, and the rest of the Rays starters perform well enough for their offense to take over, and the same can be said of their bullpen. They bend, but do not break.

This series is extremely evenly matched. But in the end, the Tampa Bay Rays will come out victorious. Why should people start doubting them now? They’re a team that doesn’t seem to care about who they face. The usual jitters that a young team gets in its first postseason performance will not affect the Rays. The series will be a tight one, but the Rays will win.

Prediction: Rays in five

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Milwaukee Brewers vs. Philadelphia Phillies

This series will be a fun one from a fan’s perspective because both teams are very similar to each other—they both can really hit the ball. Both teams have very dangerous lineups that can go off on big rallies at anytime in the game. Yet the teams’ pitching staffs are also alike since neither has a very dominate rotation. It’s safe to say that this should be an entertaining series solely on the fact that runs will be scored. Even if both teams’ starters go out there and put on a good performance, the bullpens are not good enough to contain the bats in these lineups.

For this reason, Phillies will come out on top in the series. No team can beat the Phillies in an all out slugfest. The power of Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun is not enough to overcome Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, and the red hot Ryan Howard. Even if these games do go down to the wire, Milwaukee’s only reliable starter is CC Sabathia. However, Sabathia has had to pitch on only three days rest for his last three starts in order to get the Brewers into the postseason. This grueling schedule will eventually catch up to him. While not great by any means, the Phillies’ pitching staff is still more reliable than the Brewers. Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer are not as dominate as Sabathia, but they do put in quality starts and they will be pitching on full rest. Add in the fact that the Phillies’ closer, Brad Lidge, has been perfect in save opportunities this year and this series is a done deal. Depending on how well Sabathia’s arm can hold up, the Brewers may steal a game from the Phillies. But one win is about all the Brewers will be lucky to accomplish.

Prediction: Phillies in four

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Chicago Cubs

Other than the Tampa Bay Rays, who’s had a better story than the Cubs this year? The lovable losers from the North side of Chicago are back again to try to end their 100 year championship drought. The Cubs come in boasting the best record in the National League, and they’re predicted by many to make it to the World Series this year. However, they have a tough first round ahead of them.

The Dodgers are not a team to be sneezed at. They may have come out of a pitiful division, but with their pitching staff and the newly motivated Manny Ramirez, the Dodgers should be considered very dangerous. The Dodgers come in with the best team ERA in the National League and second in all the majors. Their entire pitching staff, including relief, can silence any great offensive team. The Cubs’pitching staff is not as dominate as the Dodgers, but they still have potential. Carlos Zambrano and Rich Harden are studs who can carry deep into games. Kerry Wood has been a pretty effective closer for the Cubs this year. Offensively, the nod has to go to the Cubs. While the Cubs lack an explosive hitter like Manny Ramirez, they do have a bevy of guys that can hit the ball and drive in runs. In the end, Manny’s big bat will be the only thing that the offensively-inept Dodgers can depend on. On the other hand, the Cubs boast a much more balanced offense which is why they will ultimately win the series.

The great pitching that the Dodgers possess will keep them in ball games, but that doesn’t help much when they can’t put runs up on the board. The Cubs are a more complete team than the Dodgers are right now. Add in the fact that Wrigley will be a raucous and very hostile place to play in and you get the Cubs moving onto the NLCS.

Prediction: Cubs in four