On the University of Toronto women’s hockey team locker room door, a sign in big bold letters reads: “Play like a champion today.” It’s a reminder of what a team can achieve together, on and off the ice. This mindset has helped lead the Varsity Blues to a sparkling 6-1 record to start the season.

Their record’s single blemish happened at home against the Queen’s Golden Gaels on Oct. 18. The Blues were up by three goals 30 seconds into the second period. It’s a game that should not have been lost.

Midway through the third period, the Blues were down by one. Allowing four unanswered goals over a thirty-minute span, the game-tying goal and eventual game-winning goal came off the Gael’s power play in the third period. Before the Blues could regain their composure, the whistle sounded and the game was lost.

It was a disappointing end to the four game undefeated streak that vaulted Toronto to the top of the Ontario University Athletics standings. Their strong play hid that they are a team of 17 first and second-year players. They are a young team, but they do not lack experience, leadership, or skill. There was no excuse for the loss.

“We were good in the first, but kind of let [our game] slip,” explained second-year forward Lindsay Hill.

In order to earn the split for the weekend, the Blues had to play like champions in their next game against the still fledgling UOIT Ridgebacks.

To Miley Cyrus and Stompin’ Tom Connors, the Blues played the “good ole hockey game” with an aggressiveness epitomized by their first goal. Lindsay Hill skated up the wing, edged her defender, and sent the puck through UOIT goaltender Emma Thompson’s five hole on a terrific rush to open the scoring. Emily Milito would pot two goals of her own, as Karolina Urban also scored for Toronto.

The team’s aggression was both a blessing and a curse. By the second period, the Blues were in serious penalty trouble. Of the seven penalties they took that evening, four were for body checking, two of which resulted in a nearly full two-minute 5-on-3 power play for the Ridgebacks.

“We just got to keep our sticks on the ice and be a little more disciplined. We shouldn’t be taking offensive zone penalties. We want to take penalties that take away scoring opportunities for the other team,” said head coach Karen Hughes. “That is something we’ll talk about and continue to work on.”

Spectacular goaltending from rookie netminder Kendyl Valenta, who would make 17 saves on the night and Toronto’s penalty killing, prevented the Ridgebacks from capitalizing on the opportunity as they fell 4-1 to give the Blues the split.

Play like champions, and you’ll get positive results. “Every game is an opportunity for us to try and get better,” explained Coach Hughes.

The York Lions were left singing the Blues on Oct. 25, the third team to be left scoreless by Valenta and Toronto this season. Four different Blues players would score, dominating the Lions offensively and outshooting them by a margin of 35-24. Toronto’s defence would also pull through yet another trying two-minute 5-on-3 disadvantage as Valenta, who was solid in net with 24 saves, secured the shutout.

They played like champions.