On the 60th anniversary of Al-Nakbah (“the disaster” referring to the establishment of Israel on Palestinian land), the first Toronto Palestinian Film Festival kicked off on Saturday, Oct. 25. At an opening day press conference, The Varsity caught up with Bashar Da’as, the lead actor and protagonist of Driving to Zigzigland.

Originally from Palestine and raised in Jerusalem, Da’as emigrated to the U.S. in 2000. He had dreams of landing an acting job, but found himself driving a cab in L.A. Written and directed by his ex-wife, Nicolle Balliviar, Zigzigland is an autobiograhical account of an immigrant’s daily life, with anecdotes from friends and acquaintances.

When auditioning in Los Angeles, Da’as recalls that he would often be discarded for not having scars on his face, or for not being ugly or dark enough to play a terrorist. “Thank you for the compliment though,” he’d reply.

Although the film has achieved international recognition at Cannes, and Spain, Da’as says that the film has been rejected by many American film festivals: “One time we submitted it to a museum in Georgia. They requested a screening, and they liked the movie, but they said that it ‘takes a cheap shot at the Jewish community in America.’”

The Varsity: What is your perception of the American dream?

Bashar Da’as: When I came to America I was searching for a better life, an easier life, and fortune. But when you realize there are bills to pay, you realize that there is no such thing as the American Dream. The reality is much harder than that and sometimes you have to put your dreams aside.

TV: Could you explain the title of the film?

BD: After 9/11 when I was a cab driver in L.A., people would ask me where I was from and I used to say from Palestine. I got tired of explaining and answering their questions because American people just ask the question and don’t care about the answer. They just want to show that they know and when you try to answer they would not pay attention. I gave up and came up with the idea of Zigzigland. They would ask me “Where are you from?” and I would answer “Zigzigland,” and take advantage of their ignorance of geography. When they asked “Where is Zigzigland?” my reply was “It’s between China and Spain,” and believe it or not I got away with it most of the time.

TV: Why Zigzigland?

BD Because it’s easy to remember, funny, and it rhymes with Disneyland. I am from the old city of Jerusalem from a street which is the heart of the old city, and we use terms that nobody else uses outside of the old city. It doesn’t mean anything, but it means something to us in a particular situation.

TV: How can this politically charged film be considered a comedy?

BD: With comedy you can get away with a lot of really racist stuff, but you get away with it because comedy is a way to reach people. They might not agree with politics but with comedy they will… I guarantee you even if you bring Republicans they will laugh. They will really laugh.

Driving to Zigzigland will screen tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the AMC Theatres. The festival will run until Nov. 1. For the complete program, visit tpff.ca