Canada’s Food Guide recommends that half of total grain servings be whole grain. However, most consumers fall nowhere near this recommendation. Whether you buy bread from the corner bakery or the local supermarket, the multitude of options can be overwhelming and often confusing. Whole grain, whole wheat, stone ground, white bread…what’s the actual difference? Many of us have heard that “brown bread” is healthier for you, but many sandwich options simply taste better on white bread. There are vast differences between the available varieties, which consumers should be aware of when making a decision.

The main distinction between white and whole wheat bread is in the processing and nutritional content. Harvested wheat is comprised of bran, endosperm, and germ. Each component is essential to the nutrient content of grain, as they contain fiber, phytonutrients and carbohydrates, and protein respectively. When a grain is refined, only the starchy endosperm layer is left over. The refining process results in a loss of up to 30 vitamins and minerals, despite the nutrient enrichment process employed in many white breads today.

Not all whole wheat breads are whole grain. In fact, molasses is often used as a colouring agent to make the bread look like the healthier variety. Labels such as “whole grain health” really translate to “containing one to 49 per cent whole grain.” In order to reap the benefits of real whole grain, the product should state that it contains “100 per cent whole grain whole wheat” as the first ingredient. In Canada, a food can be advertised as whole wheat even with up to 70 per cent of the germ content removed. Breads such as 12 grain, stoned wheat, and whole bran actually contain mostly white flour. For these reasons, it is important to read the ingredients when choosing bread.

Whole grain products tend to have a higher caloric content than more refined products due to their higher oil content. However, whole grain breads are an important fiber source as consuming them more often will improve gastrointestinal function and health. The daily-recommended consumption of fibre is 25 grams for women and 38 grams for men. On average, Canadians only eat about 14 to 21 grams of fibre a day. While lentils and beans are the best fibre source, it is often easier to incorporate whole grain bread into a meal.

Don’t be fooled by the packaging and too-good-to-be-true food manufacturers’ claims. Both white and whole wheat bread also contain chemical preservatives to increase shelf life. So if you’re really keen on making healthier choices you should visit the local bakery, or try baking your own bread.