Soon, the Buffalo Bills will call Toronto home.

On December 7, they’ll take on the Miami Dolphins in Canada’s first-ever regular season NFL game. To promote the landmark match-up, Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards was recently at the Rogers Centre, signing autographs to preview the game.

On paper, this will be a home game for the Bills. However, they’ll actually be playing more than 150 kilometres from Ralph Wilson stadium, leaving behind some familiar home-field advantages.

Buffalo weather can be harsh this time of year, with high winds, snow, and freezing rain influencing game outcomes. While this has benefited the Bills in the past, playing in the dome-covered Rogers Centre means giving up this potential advantage. When asked how it might affect the Bills’ performance, Edwards admitted it’s been on his mind.

“I’ve thought about [it],” he said. “Last year’s game we played [the Dolphins] in December in Buffalo and it started snowing. We beat them […] and I think a lot of that had to do with the weather conditions, that we were able to get on them early. [But] we’ll have other factors that will allow us to hopefully win this football game.”

Another advantage the Bills will lose is the presence of fans that call Buffalo home. However, Edwards noted that it felt like a home game when the Bills first played in Toronto in preseason against the Pittsburgh Steelers. He added that the fans will need to make a lot of noise. “This is a home game for us and we’re going to need a home atmosphere,” said Edwards. “That comes with fans being loud and making sure that the Dolphins on third down can’t hear their calls. That’s going to be pretty big for us.”

What started out as a strong season has turned sour for the Bills when they hit a four-game losing streak. The impending game against Miami will be a tough match-up. The Bills have lost all three of their divisional games this season. However, their recent performance against the Kansas City Chiefs indicates that things are back on track. Edwards rushed for two touchdowns in that game, giving him three on the season, the most of any Bills quarterback since Jack Kemp in 1966. He also posted a career-high quarterback rating of 121.0 in Buffalo’s best offensive feat this season.

Edwards earned his first NFL start early last season, just a few weeks into his rookie year. Since then, he’s embraced his role as leader of the offense—a responsibility he takes very seriously. “Obviously, as a quarterback and as a young guy you need to find the best [leadership] formula. That’s number one on my priority list, making sure I’m setting the example for these guys and I’m doing everything I can personally to make sure that I’m allowing my team to win on Sundays,” he said.

When met with questions about his confidence, the young quarterback displayed poise. “I don’t consider myself a fearful football player,” he said. “You can’t play this position and have fear in your game.”