The Varsity Blues women’s volleyball team hosted the 18th annual National Invitational Tournament on January 2-4 at the Athletic Centre.

The Blues finished in second place with a 2-1 record, behind tournament champions the York Lions, who finished with a perfect 4-0 record.

In the tournament’s opening day, Toronto defeated the Winnipeg Wesman with a total of 3-1 (25-20, 20-25, 25-17, 25-22). On Saturday, U of T lost to the York Lions with a score of 1-3 (25-21,18-25, 16-25,19-25). The Blues finished the tournament with a 3-1 (26-24, 18-25, 25-17, 25-19) win over the Saint Mary’s Huskies.

“It was a great way to start the second season, especially since there was some tough sets that we won. We rose to the challenge, and in the finals we demonstrated our ability to play,” said head coach Kristine Drakich. “We felt very good; everyone put in a real team effort, everyone contributed. This helped us to get focused and prepared for the second half of the season.”

Fifth-year Blues star Caley Venn was named the tournament all-star for her incredible play throughout the weekend.

In the game against Saint Mary’s, Venn and Heather Bansley tallied 14 and 13 kills respectively.

Bansley is currently leading in the OUA, and second in the CIS, averaging 5.64 points per game. She has been selected to be part of the Canadian National Beach Volleyball team.