The Arizona Cardinals have been underdogs all season. Even their most die-hard fans were unsure how far the team could make it in the playoffs. Atlanta and Carolina’s strengths fit Arizona’s weaknesses, yet the Cardinals managed to defeat them both. Now they’re one win away from going to the Super Bowl, facing the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC championship game.

Arizona will have home field advantage in Sunday’s game. The team already boasts one playoff win at the University of Phoenix stadium, beating Atlanta at home two weeks ago. Arizona fans are more excited than they’ve ever been, meaning the Eagles will have to contend with an extraordinarily loud crowd. On top of that, Philadelphia will be on the road, a prospect no team relishes, especially when it comes with a two hour time difference.

In their last meeting, Philadelphia beat Arizona 48-20. However, if this year’s playoffs have taught us anything, it’s that the regular season means very little anymore. Arizona is a different team now, playing a completely different, better type of football

The Cardinals’ regular season wins were mostly due to quarterback Kurt Warner and their explosive offense, namely wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. Their defence was unreliable and inconsistent. But when they hit the post-season, they somehow found a way to make everything click. In last weekend’s game against Carolina they were able to stop the run—something they struggled with during the regular season—shutting down one of the league’s best running back tandems. They also racked up five interceptions.

In order for Arizona to move on to the Super Bowl, DT Darnell Dockett, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, FS Antrel Rolle, and the rest of the defense are going to have to continue to come up big. They’ll need to put pressure on Eagles QB Donovan McNabb. If he’s forced to throw when he doesn’t want to, they’ll be ready to pick him off. Andy Reid likes to call more pass plays than run plays, but the Eagles will likely try and get the ball to RB Brian Westbrook, as they’ve had post-season success with the ball in his hands. However, if Philadelphia can get the running game going, they won’t be forced to throw the ball downfield. That could be bad for Arizona, as the Eagles would be able to bypass the strongest part of the Cardinals’ defense.

Philadelphia boasts a tough, blitz-happy defense that will have their sights set on Warner. Thus far, the Cardinals’ offensive line has kept the pressure off of their quarterback. However, if they can’t stand up against FS Brian Dawkins and the Eagles’ defense, it will put Arizona in a potentially ruinous position. They’ll need to avoid third-and-long situations, as that’s when the Eagles are guaranteed to bring the blitz. They’ll also need to get the ball deep, forcing Philadelphia to abandon the blitz in order to drop players back into pass coverage. Arizona will then have the opportunity to run the ball, handing it off to veteran RB Edgerrin James.

Things to watch for: Keep your eyes on Fitzgerald. Look for him to run deep crossing routes, which Arizona used successfully against the Panthers multiple times last week. On defense, watch for Dockett, and his uncanny ability to get up field to defend the run and put pressure on the opposing quarterback. Look for McNabb to put a few drives together that involve short-yardage passing—they’re tailor-made for his arm strength and accuracy, as proven in last weekend against the Giants’ defense. Expect CB Asante Samuel to make some great plays, as he’s known for getting critical interceptions in big games.

Final word: This championship match-up will likely hinge on whether or not Arizona’s defense can stop the run. If they play as well as they did against Carolina, they’ll make the trip to Tampa Bay.

Pick: Arizona Cardinals