Things are looking up for students at York, who may be back to school on Monday.

Last night at 10 p.m., the TA’s union announced it was dropping its lawsuit against the Ontario government for creating back-to-work legislation.

“We have done everything in our power to stand up for the quality and accessibility of education at York in this round of negotiations but, for now, it’s time to get our students back to class,” said CUPE 3903 spokesperson Tyler Shipley.

Bill 145, “York University Labour Disputes Resolution Act,” will have its third reading today at 10:30 a.m. The soon-to-be-defeated union is holding a rally at the same time to “celebrate and honour all that we have done and achieved over 85 days of strike,” according to its website.

On Sunday, Queen’s Park held a special sitting to propose the bill. After the NDP blocked the first reading, the bill needed a second and third reading. Had it passed at the first reading, students would have already returned to class.

Once approved, the bill will need royal assent by the Lieutenant Governor, followed by a 24-hour period before students can return to class.

York’s last strike record was some 76 days, which took place in 2000-2001.

The union, which represents 3,300 striking employees, warned it would continue pursuing negotiations in the future.

“York has never been committed to the process,” Shipley told The Varsity. “There was no deadlock here. There was simply one side that refused to bargain.”

York’s struggle is seen as a prelude to a possible province-wide university strike in 2010 that would affect 330,000 students.

CUPE has worked to synchronize most of its Ontario university contracts to expire next year. This raises the possibility that multiple university unions will unite in labour negotiations and collaborate on a strike if dissatisfied.

Although some CUPE unions only represent secondary staff, such as food and custodial workers, others, including U of T and Ryerson, represent teaching assistants and contract faculty.

The York Federation of Students has faced criticism for siding with CUPE. YFS recently offered all 50,000 undergrads $100 each as part of a relief fund and is petitioning university officials to refund students for lost tuition.

The union also launched the “Don’t Pay a Cent” campaign, urging students not to pay any fees, although the university had already postponed payment deadlines until classes resume. Their constituents are way ahead of them. “I do not feel represented by Osman and Co. so will I get my membership fee back?” wrote Amrisha Sharma in the York Strike Info Facebook group.

A class-action lawsuit was announced Sunday against York University, on the basis of violating the Consumer Protection Act.

The strike, which started Nov. 6, has been a source of much media attention, generating over 50 Facebook groups. Endless demonstrations have taken place, including a Tuesday march from the Ministry of Labour to Queen’s Park where four people were charged for assaulting and obstructing police.

Shipley said the arrested “were victims of police incitement” who have since been released.

With files from Saron Ghebressellassie