Why the Pittsburgh Steelers Will Win

Coaching

Due to previous experience with the Pittsburgh Steelers, many would give Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt an edge in the competition. While there’s no doubt this will prepare the Cardinals for the Steelers, Pittsburgh’s boss Mike Tomlin is no slouch either.

After entering the league in 2001 at 28, Tomlin has worked under the likes of Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, and Jon Gruden. No defence Tomlin has been a part of has ever been ranked lower than eighth overall.

Tomlin brought youthful energy to the Steelers in the 07-08 season, combined with hard work, dedication, and perhaps his greatest attribute of all: the ability to work with the talent on the field. Under Tomlin, the Steelers have won their division twice. This year, Tomlin has become the youngest head coach ever to lead a team to the Super Bowl.

Yet Tomlin and the Steelers will have their hands full on Sunday as Whisenhunt and staff have got their team rolling. Whisenhunt’s best work has erased a losing culture in the Valley of the Sun—helped by veteran leaders like quarterback Kurt Warner, safety Adrian Wilson, and running back Edgerrin James. Whisenhunt’s game planning, particularly on offense, is strong, and, like Tomlin, he delegates well. This game will play like a chess match on the field, with one wrong move costing the game.

Offence

Arizona will have to contain Pittsburgh running back Willie Parker as the Steelers establish the running game by pounding the ball. But unlike the run-it-down-your-throat Steelers in the 1970’s, this team is more versatile, especially with the development of signal caller Ben Roethlisburger. In this year’s AFC championship game, when Parker couldn’t find much room against Baltimore, the 6’5, 241 lb “Big Ben” took control. If Big Ben can buy enough time to air the ball out, the Steelers’ receiving corp will have fire power. The Cardinals must watch out for playmaker Santonio Holmes whose 65-yard catch and run TD was the major offensive play in the AFC title game. Holmes’ contributions will be even more vital with fellow wide-out and ’06 Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward limited by a knee injury.

Steelers tight end Heath Miller has been a clutch performer. Look for him to be the go-to guy should Roethlisberger start to scramble.

Defence

Although the Cardinals’ running game has been revived by Edgerrin James and rookie Tim Hightower, if Kurt Warner does not have time in the pocket, they are done. The number one ranked Steelers’ defence, lead by defensive player of the year James Woodson, will give Arizona a run for their money.

Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who has already set a single post-season record with 419 receiving yards, looks uncoverable. Receivers Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston who both had a 1000+ yard season, could also be lethal. Therefore, cornerbacks Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend will need plenty of support from hard hitting Ryan Clark and All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu.

Special Teams

Pittsburgh always gets a huge play from Santonio Holmes, whose punt return for a score got the Steelers back into their divisional round win over San Diego. However, Holmes can be hit or miss, as he is prone to bad decisions.

Cardinals’ kicker Neil Rackers has provided a solid kicking game, hitting 25 of 28 field goals. But Steelers’ Jeff Reed is the superior place-kicker and one of the best clutch kickers in the game.

FINAL THOUGHT

The Cardinals have been the lovable underdogs throughout the post-season, but their fairytale won’t have a happy ending. The Steelers will establish a solid running game early on, and the Cardinals will have a tough time cracking the Steel Curtain. Coach Tomlin will become the youngest coach ever to hoist the Holy Grail, and Pittsburgh will bring home a record sixth title back to the Steel City.

—GEORGE LIANG

WHY THE ARIZONA CARDINALS WILL WIN

Coaching

Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt was part of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ coaching staff from 2001 to 2006, first as the coach for the tight ends and then as the offensive coordinator. Whisenhunt’s in-depth knowledge of Pittsburgh’s players’ individual skill sets will help the Cardinals defence. For instance, there isn’t much Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisburger is going to do that Whisenhunt hasn’t seen before. Arizona’s defence has played well in the post-season, so it would seem that defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast and staff have cured whatever ailed their defenders at the end of the regular season.

Offence

It’s no secret that the Arizona Cardinals’ offence is the reason they win games. With veteran QB Kurt Warner at the helm, and superstar wide-outs Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin on the field, they’re almost a reincarnation of the Greatest Show on Turf. Whether he’s wide open or in triple coverage, Fitzgerald is able to catch the ball no matter where Warner puts it. Getting the passing game going is vital for Arizona. Not only has it been the key to their playoff victories, it will open up the running game, which they’ve had a lot of success with in the post-season.

During the NFC championship game, the Cardinals went three-and-out whenever the Philadelphia Eagles successfully pressured Warner. Unfortunately for Arizona, the Steelers’ defence also loves to bring the blitz and put non-stop pressure on the quarterback. But their strategy isn’t impenetrable. During the AFC championship game, the Baltimore Ravens took advantage of some downfield plays when QB Joe Flacco received protection. Though Baltimore’s run of the mill passing offence missed out on several opportunities to get the ball downfield, Arizona won’t make the same mistake. Warner was able to beat most of the Eagles’ blitzes with quick passes. His plethora of NFL experience enables him to make quick passes, good decisions, and big plays, even when he’s under pressure. Between Fitzgerald, Boldin, Steve Breaston, and Stephen Spach, Warner always has an open receiver. Pittsburgh doesn’t have enough players to blitz while simultaneously covering every wide-out on the field.

The Cardinals have one of the most proficient passing offences in the league. If the offensive line can maintain the pocket like they did in their last three games, the Cardinals will take advantage of any opening the Steelers afford them.

Defence

Pittsburgh is a run-first team, and lately Arizona’s defence has done a great job stopping the run. By getting upfield quickly, they can force the running back to the outside, surround him, and make a gang tackle. If they can continue that, they’ll have success against the Steelers.

The Arizona defence will need to pressure Big Ben and make him run outside the pocket. They’ll also need to force Pittsburgh into a passing situation by getting the score up early, making the Steelers’ offense one-dimensional. Roethlisburger likes to hold onto the ball in an attempt to keep the play alive. Against most defences, this tactic usually works, as the Steelers’ receivers are good at making plays downfield. However, there isn’t a Pittsburgh offensive player that’s faster than the defensive backs on Arizona. When the Steelers are up against that kind of defence, Big Ben throws interceptions, gets sacked, and makes mistakes, and Arizona’s defence—specifically CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie—are able to capitalize on poor throws under pressure. Just ask Jake Delhomme.

Special Teams

Arizona’s been reliable on kick return by not turning it over and consistently setting up the offense with fairly good field position. Steelers WR Santonio Holmes excels on the return game, so the Cardinals will have to be extra aware on kick off and punt coverage. Arizona can’t afford to have K Neil Rackers kick the ball out of bounds, like he did against Philadelphia. And he’ll have to make every field goal, because in this game they’re really going to count. Against a good defence, field goals win games.

Final Thought

Arizona will be victorious against Pittsburgh because the Cardinals have played the best football of any team in this year’s playoffs. The lethal combination of Warner, Fitzgerald, and Boldin will run the score up early, leaving the Steelers scrambling to catch up. The Cardinals have beaten the odds all season. On Sunday they’ll do it again.

—ANDREA YEOMANS