As proof of changing times, a property given away in 1967 now costs $22 million. U of T announced on Monday that it is buying and developing the planetarium south of the Royal Ontario Museum as part of an ongoing expansion of the St. George campus.

The McLaughlin Planetarium was given to the ROM from U of T in 1967, free of charge. Since 1995, the building has been closed to the public and used as office and storage space. Though there has been considerable interest in the location, all development projects so far have been stifled.

The first major commercial proposal for the space in recent years was withdrawn after public opposition that then-director of the ROM William Thorsell called “too deep and broad” to defeat. Eighteen months later a 46-storey condominium tower was proposed. U of T’s decision to buy the building officially marks the termination of any such plan.

Some of the strongest criticism of a residential project came from the university. There is speculation that it played a significant role in stalling the various development projects, although until now the university has not expressed interest in the location.

President David Naylor called the situation “a win-win for U of T, the ROM, and the public,” claiming that “the acquisition will deliver long-term benefits to our students and our community and provide much-needed room for the expansion of U of T’s academic facilities.” The specific use of the site remains undetermined. University spokesperson Robert Steiner said the land would ease the “massive space crunch at the St. George campus.”