Dr. Carin Wittnich is the senior scientist and veterinarian with the Oceanographic Environmental Research Society (OERS). One of the society’s directors, Wittnich leads the organization’s scientific and rescue initiatives. She is also a full professor of Surgery & Physiology at U of T, director of the Cardiovascular Sciences Collaborative Program, and was recently awarded the 2008 Undergraduate Teaching Award from the Faculty of Medicine. The Varsity sat down with Dr. Wittnich to discuss her involvement with OERS and the opportunities it provides to U of T students.

The Varsity: What is Oceanographic Environmental Research Society, and how did it start?

Dr. Carin Wittnich: That requires a complicated answer, as OERS is a multifaceted organization. OERS was incorporated in 1996, and is the brainchild of Mike Belanger, who is the founding director and president. It was started because of the obvious need in Canada to have a group focused on issues and welfare, in the domains of education, research, and rescue, specifically for marine mammals. However we have since expanded our maandate because of the need to include terrestrial animals that are caught in disasters.

TV: OERS is not entirely focused on marine mammals. There are various programs oriented to rescue terrestrial animals when needed. How does the affiliation with the University of Toronto make either of these two tasks easier? Are there any obstacles in fulfilling the objectives of this society?

CW: Because OERS is very committed to providing very high-quality education at every level, having the University of Toronto here in Toronto provides an excellent venue to accomplish that at the postsecondary level. Since the University of Toronto did not have [much of a] marine mammal focus prior to our initiatives, by working together, OERS is able to provide University of Toronto students the exposure that they would not otherwise have. OERS is very proud and happy to be a partner with U of T which also ensures that the education provided is both of high standard and fun! So it’s kind of perfect.

The whole science of marine mammals has a lot of relevance also to professions like medicine. We can learn a lot from the adaptations of marine mammals to their unique environment, as well as the toxins from man they are faced with. The science of marine mammals is not as widely removed as it initially seems. Certainly in diving physiology, a lot of what researchers or clinicians know or understand comes from marine mammal research. One incredible point about the Faculty of Medicine is that it is supportive of new things to open students’ minds, because the faculty here realize that medicine is not the traditional medicine anymore, especially in cases where you have cross-disease among animals and humans. So it is not like animals are in this box, and humans in another box anymore.

TV: Many think this society’s main concern is oceanographic research. However, there are many opportunities U of T undergraduates could take advantage of through OERS. Could you elaborate on that?

CW: Absolutely. In each of Research, Education, and Rescue, OERS has developed a number of programs. I think primarily interesting at U of T are the courses that we are putting on. We have an entry-level science 199 seminar-style course, which is an introduction to marine mammals and their environment that runs under the EEB department. Also in second year we offer two courses, one through EEB, which is focused on ecology and conservation, EEB216, that has been running for four years now, and a new course, PSL280, offered through the Department of Physiology, which focuses on the anatomy and physiology of marine mammals. This course grew out of the original EEB216 course due to a high demand from science students for a course that they could get a recognized science credit, whereas EEB216 was created as a science distribution course for arts students primarily. In addition, we have a third-year course, PSL380, Diving Physiology Adaptations of Marine Mammals, which is a more demanding course. There is also a third-year marine mammal field course, PSL378, where a small group of students get to experience a very hands-on dissection of a marine mammal—a unique opportunity no matter where you might be located.

For career development, OERS has developed a broad spectrum of internships, where students can get exposure to various fields including a pre-veterinary opportunity, [and] experience the career opportunities available to veterinarians who chose the more non-traditional career path. We have research internships, including biomedical or marine mammal, depending on their interests.

OERS’s rescue program has evolved significantly from its beginnings and now has two pillars on which it stands. There is a division within OERS called the Disaster Response Division (DRD), and that division has two parallel activities: one focused on marine mammals, the other on terrestrial mammals. For example, if there is a marine animal death, we have been asked to conduct or participate in autopsies to determine the cause of death. We are developing a Canada-wide stranding network, to bring together all interested parties from across the country to provide support and assistance as needed. Regarding the terrestrial animals, we have trained volunteer animal rescue teams that would deploy upon request to assist in the rescue of animals caught up in disasters. One example of this was our volunteer team deployment after Hurricane Katrina and more recently to assist with an animal situation in Montréal, where OERS-DRD was asked to help.

TV: Are there any volunteer opportunities for undergraduate students offered by OERS?

CW: Absolutely, we are always looking for volunteers. There is specimen preparation for all the ongoing courses. Students who have previously taken some of these courses can quite often help us set up, and even for the dissection course, volunteers can join. We need fund-raising, web development, etc. The opportunities are limitless and there is plenty of room for everyone.

TV: You received the 2008 Undergraduate Teaching Award from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto. How did OERS help in this achievement?

CW: I received this award for the new marine mammal courses that we have put on, specifically, the first physiology field course PSL378. If OERS had not provided me with the support needed to run this course, I could never have been able to offer this excellent addition to the curriculum. It is no exaggeration to say that without OERS I would never have been able to get these courses up and running, nor win the award.

TV: Do you have any advice for undergraduate students interested in pursuing this program?

CW: Well, I think that undergraduate students are the leaders of the future, and at U of T we have a very strong reputation in creating such leaders. The marine environment is often seriously neglected, so I encourage students to step up to the plate, and get involved with organizations such as OERS, who have this under-represented area as their main focus. A large portion of our planet is aquatic and if we do not each do something, there will not be a healthy planet for us to occupy. With a balance between the rigors of the academic demands placed on them, I hope undergraduates volunteering their time will effect positive change. Despite the need for high GPAs, even professional schools at the U of T recognize the importance of volunteering and factor this into their admissions selection criteria. OERS welcomes all who wish to donate some of their precious time and be part of the solution!