Grad school applications are on the rise across Canada. As jobs are cut—Statistics Canada figures show that last month alone lost 34,000 jobs—students seem more inclined to wait out the tough times with more schooling. So far, U of T has received 12,631 grad school applications, an increase of nine per cent from last year.

“Historical evidence is that when the economy goes sour, there tends to be an uptake in applications to graduate schools,” Alan George, dean of graduate studies at University of Waterloo, told the Record.

But Susan Pfeiffer, U of T’s graduate studies dean, said the economic crisis hasn’t necessarily increased the volume. “As far as I know, the increase in applications is not huge,” Pfeiffer said. “I wouldn’t characterize all graduates as flocking to grad school because of the recession. I figure that each applicant is making their own reasonable decision.”
Pfeiffer said grad degrees are always assets: “ It’s good for the person, and good for the society.”

“There is only x-amount of knowledge and experience you can gain with a bachelor’s degree,” said Berina Gacanin, a second-year student and law school hopeful, who knew she wanted to do grad studies before she started her undergrad.

Senior professors are seeing more requests to supervise students for grad school.

“The truth is, the demand exceeds way more than I can do,” says Garry Leonard, an English professor.