The University of Toronto Varsity Blues women’s volleyball team began the playoffs with a promising 3-0 victory over the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees (25-20, 25-19, 25-19) Feb. 14 at the Athletic Centre, securing a spot in the OUA quarter-final match.

The first set started with the Blues down by 3-7, but they quickly caught up to gain a 12-11 lead. Kristina Valjas knocked down balls that came her way and Heather Bansley sent strong serves over the net that the Gee-Gees weren’t able to return. The Blues closed the opening game with a score of 25-20.

The team’s focus and effort truly showed in the second game. At the first technical timeout, the Blues were up 8-4, and they continued to widen the gap, leading by 16-9 by the second technical timeout.

The Blues ended the second game without trouble. Bansley closed the game with a strong kill down the middle, allowing the team to total 25-19 for the second set.

“There was pressure starting the game because we knew that it was a quarter-final match and it obviously determined who went to the Final Four tournament […] but we came out strong, and dominated,” said Blues player Dana Collins.

The final set was closely fought. Untimely Blues errors combined with OUA’s top serving specialist Tess Edwards put the Gee-Gees in the lead by 16-11.

Bansley, the OUA’s second best serving specialist, broke their lead when she stepped up to serve. Bansley tallied 10 straight points, including three aces, putting the Blues back up at 22-16. Diane Burrows ended the rally with a game-winning kill, resulting in a final score of 25-19.

Valjas and Burrows tallied 12 kills each, while Bansley tallied eight kills, a game-high of 19 digs and six service aces. Michelle Wood added 12 digs in the game.

Head Coach Kristine Drakich has never failed to take her team to the Final Four match. This is the 20th straight season in which her team has made the semifinals, having won the championship six times.

“In the beginning, [the game] might have been interrupted a little bit, but we stayed strong and stayed focused for the vast majority,” said Coach Drakich. “It was a real team effort and we stayed on path, even though it was challenging at times with the noise and excitement of Ottawa and their strength.”

“We’ve been building to really playing as a team, and we totally came together here and it culminated in this game. There wasn’t anyone who wasn’t focused, wasn’t ready […] everyone had each other’s back,” said Blues player Caley Venn. “The most exciting thing going forward to the Final Four is knowing that we’re ready, we’re together, it’s time.”

Yet the Final Four ended in heartbreak.

On Feb. 20, the Blues lost to the McMaster Marauders in a five-set game (25-23, 21-25, 25-15, 26-28, 15-8).

With the loss, their season came down to a bronze medal game against the Western Mustangs the following day.

While the Blues fought hard against Western, they were unable to secure the win and the medal, falling 3-2 (21-25, 28-26, 25-18, 23-25, 8-15) for a fourth-place finish in the OUA championships.