The 41st home opener for the Toronto Maple Leafs of the Intercounty Baseball League, held on May 3, was a mix of the familiar and the unfamiliar. The setting was the same, as the Maple Leafs continued the long tradition of playing at Christie Pits, a short walk from U of T’s St. George Campus. Like last year’s home opener, the Maple Leafs battled the Barrie Baycats to kick off the season. Even the starting pitching match-up was the same as last year. For the second straight year, Maple Leafs pitcher Drew Taylor, son of former major leaguer Ron Taylor, faced off against former Blue Jay and former Maple Leaf Paul Spoljaric. On the strength of Dan Gibbons’ grand slam in the first inning, the Maple Leafs went on to beat the Baycats, 8-6.

The Maple Leafs play home games every Sunday afternoon (and some Wednesday nights) until the end of July. The games are free to attend, the setting is idyllic, and the players are eager to interact. Attending a baseball game at Christie Pits may be unfamiliar, but the communal experience quickly becomes welcome and familiar.

The atmosphere however changed dramatically as there was a chill that seemed to remind fans of the events that had transpired in the offseason. Sadly, Maple Leafs co-owner Lynne Dominico passed away in November. Lynne’s husband, Jack Dominico, continued the tradition of bringing in baseball legends for the opening weekend of the season. The lone carryover from last season was a close personal friend of Dominico, Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller, who was thought to throw harder than any pitcher in Major League history. On this May day Feller tossed out the first pitch along with fellow pitching legend Juan Marichal to start the season. Feller’s pitch may not have had as much zip as the ones that he threw for the Cleveland Indians, with whom he played his entire career, but that is understandable. After all, Feller was the first living inductee to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962. Feller is 90 years old.

For a fellow of his age Feller moves incredibly well, and certainly seemed dogged in his role as an ambassador for baseball. When he spotted the digital recorder, he was initially reluctant to speak. But when he heard that the reporter was representing the University of Toronto, Feller spoke genuinely and sanguinely about why he enjoys attending events such as the Maple Leafs home opener.

“I love Toronto, I love Canada. I like the people here, the baseball fans, all the players, and the people that support this team,” said Feller.

Part of the charm of watching a Toronto Maple Leafs game is the feeling of openness and community. The club hosts a dinner and banquet the night before the game that is open to the public. Before the game, Feller and Marichal, along with some of the coaches, signed autographs for young fans, posed for pictures, and talked baseball.

“I want to come every year. I’ve already been invited back for 2010. If my health holds out, I’ll be back again next year. Seeing all the great fans that come out to the dinner, and the banquet, and the autograph sessions,” said Feller.

Perhaps the greatest part about seeing a Toronto Maple Leafs game up close is the level of fan interaction that is almost inconceivable in a similar setting. During the games, fans can lean over into the bullpen to chat with the players (or if they are feeling especially brave, they can holler at them inside the dugouts). The games at Christie Pits are played in a comfortable and accessible environment, with spectators setting up chairs along the large hills that overlook the diamond. Frequently, there are games and practices taking place in the baseball diamond at the other end of the Pits, and it seems like everywhere in the giant park, there’s a great sense of community.

Feller, a baseball purist, presented an appeal to fans that are sometimes disillusioned by the corporate aspect of professional sports. “They have overdone the hype and sports marketing. It increases the prices of the seats, and the salaries of the players and the club owners are making a lot of money,” lamented Feller.

Feller suggested that attending an Intercounty Baseball League is a return to the splendor of baseball. “The difference between [baseball today and when I used to play] not all that much. The hitting, the pitching, the defence, the strategy, the fundamentals [are similar,]” said Feller. He suggested that an emphasis on money and hype are turning fans away from the game. Without the extravagance of professional ball, Intercounty Baseball at Christie Pits is a treat for a casual or new fan to the sport. Though the games may take place in the Pits, the opportunity to see a team in Toronto called the Maple Leafs, and not have to shell out big bucks is truly the heights of a majestic sporting experience.