After having their undefeated streak broken by the Ottawa Gee-Gees, the Varsity Blues women’s soccer team attempted to shake off the blues and move back up in the OUA. The team hit another roadblock last Friday, tying the Laurentian Lady Vees 1-1.

Despite the defeat to Ottawa last week, the Blues went into the game as a favourite over the Lady Vees. In the first half, it was no surprise that the Blues were the bigger team, producing six shots on goal to the Lady Vees’ two.

Then, in the 37th minute, Blues top scorer Erica Basso lobbed a shot over the Laurentian goalkeeper, but a Lady Vees defender managed to clear the ball off the baseline, which resulted in a corner kick. As a Blues player was fouled during the kick, Toronto received a free kick right outside the penalty box. Basso stepped up and smashed a shot over everyone’s head, and into the goal in the 38th minute.

However, the Blues failed to bring their advantage into halftime, as Leanne Adams of Laurentian scored the equalizer, thanks in part to Blues defensive errors. The Blues defence couldn’t contain the Laurentian attack, which led to several dangerous chances close to the Toronto net.

There was more frustration for the Blues later on in the game when their strikers could not capitalize on some chances. Juliana Bergin had a few great opportunities to put the ball into the net, but none of her attempts was successful, with the closest hitting the crossbar. In the final minutes, the visitors defended well, and held on for a 1-1 tie, which was a disappointing result for Toronto.

After the draw with Laurentian, the Blues hosted the Nipissing Lakers, who they rocked by a score of 5-1 earlier in the season. The Blues took the October 17 game, but not overwhelmingly.

By pressuring offensively throughout the match and dominating the midfield, U of T clearly outpaced the visitors, proved to be a handful for the Lakers defence, and constantly forced Lakers goalkeeper Samantha Behm into action. A collision between Behm and Blues striker Jessica Fantozzi in the 17th minute left the goalkeeper on the ground for about two and a half minutes. Receiving a round of applause from the audience, Behm got back up on her feet to play the rest of the match. Fantozzi put the ball past Behm three minutes later.

Towards the end of the first half, the Blues defence was scrambling, trying to protect the one-point lead. The visitors created some chaos in front of the Blues goal, moving relentlessly towards the equalizer, which finally came in the 33rd minute. Amy Laidlaw hammered the ball low from the right, and Leesa Church, who faced Toronto goalkeeper Mary-Ann Barnes one-on-one, kicked it around Barnes to tie the score. Fortunately, a second consecutive draw was averted three minutes later when Mel Bowen’s left-wing cross was met with a firm header by Juliana Bergin.

In the second half, the Blues defence performed much better. They made every effort to widen the winning margin, but their opportunities were denied by the Lakers defence. In stoppage time, Blues substitute Natalie Law had a strong final effort by firing a hard shot, forcing Behm into a full stretch to make a great save. The 2-1 score held up, sealing the home team’s first victory in three matches.

Blues head coach Eva Havaris appeared satisfied with Saturday’s result. “I am pretty pleased with the game. The girls did a great job; it was the entire team effort,” said Havaris, commenting on her team’s performance. “To get the two goals was nice. It probably should have been more, but they played well, so I am very pleased.”

“We had as many opportunities [against Laurentian] to finish the difference, and we didn’t, and today we did,” said Havaris, who said the disappointment of playing to a draw with Laurentian motivated the team to push hard to score against Nipissing. “The girls were really hungry to go to goal.”

Juliana Bergin’s frustration with not being able to capitalize on chances during the Laurentian game turned into elation after scoring the winning goal in the next match. “Something just clicked today,” said the Toronto striker.

The Blues now sit in second place, behind the Queen’s Golden Gaels in the OUA East Division with a record of 10-1-3. Toronto will host its last two games, on October 24 against the RMC Paladins and October 25 against the Ottawa Gee-Gees.

“I am expecting to win, […] to build on the momentum we just created in this game,” said Havaris, who was looking to end the regular season on a high note.