Update: A university spokesperson previously told The Varsity that arrangements would be made for other professors or TAs to teach classes that sessionals currently teach. This information is incorrect. While U of T has no plans to cancel classes, it will not ask any teaching assistants (members of CUPE 3902’s Unit 1) to take on the work of striking sessionals (members of CUPE 3902’s Unit 3). It is unclear how classes will be covered if the strike happens.

Monday, Nov. 9, marks the first day sessional workers at U of T can legally go on strike. If they do so, the university will still hold classes, a spokesperson said Wednesday. Sessionals make up around 30 per cent of instructors, including lecturers, instructional assistants, and music and writing instructors.

“There are no plans to shut down any classes and there will be alternate teaching arrangements,” said U of T spokesperson Laurie Stephens.

“We’re not in a position to comment on these arrangements as we are not privy to them,” responded Leslie Jermyn, bargaining spokesperson for CUPE 3902, the union that represents sessionals. “It’s hard to imagine how they will cover one third of the term in a way that would satisfy U of T’s high pedagogical standards.”

CUPE 3902 has been negotiating with U of T since August. Negotiations will continue on Friday and over the weekend.

“I think the tone of the negotiations have been incredibly even. Both sides have treated each other reasonably,” Jermyn said.

Sticking points include job security and wages. The union is asking for an eight per cent raise per year for the next two years, and rolling commitment, where one course contract would guarantee three equivalent contracts over the following three years. CUPE also wants more research funding for sessionals.

“Right now, people at York are making close to $1000 [more] for full courses than people at U of T,” said Jermyn.

U of T has countered with an offer to create another level of seniority and pay for sessional instructors who have eight years’ experience.

CUPE 3902 is not satisfied with this offer. “They have offered a very low, in fact substandard wage increase to everybody and they haven’t come back with anything that is useful for the majority of our members,” Jermyn said. “Fewer than 10 of us would even be able to qualify in the coming year.”

U of T is remaining tight-lipped about the progress of negotiations.

“We’re not talking negotiating points [at] this point in time publicly,” Stephens said. “All we can confirm is we are indeed negotiating, and we will try to have a fair and responsible settlement” before Nov. 9.