The Ninja Funk Orchestra is a funky five-piece, psychedelic-progressive-jazz-rock band that seems to defy categorization into any specific genre. In anticipation of their upcoming concert at Hart House’s Arbor Room, tenor sax player Gordon Hyland explains that their sound “is hard to pin down. We’re trying to create a new kind of sonic landscape that transcends genres, and doesn’t just appeal to one particular niche…I’d have to say Zappa, Phish, the Brecker Brothers, the Bad Plus, Void, Rudder Chris Potter, and Seamus Blake have been some of our bigger influences.”

He adds that it seems there is a stronger desire now for eclectic art that isn’t restricted to any one classification.

Along with Hyland, the Ninja Funk Orchestra includes Rob Christian on alto sax and keys, Neil Whitford on guitar, Andrew Roorda on bass, and Mack Longpre on drums. Each of them has studied music at either U of T or Humber College.

The group first got together in April of 2007 to host the weekly Concord Funk Jam at the Concord Cafe on Bloor Street, and the night began to bring in an eclectic variety of instrumentalists, singers, and DJs from around Toronto. In 2008, the band decided to focus more on playing gigs elsewhere in the city and on recording their first album. They’ve gone on to perform at the Beaches Jazz Fest, Clinton’s Tavern, and the Mod Club, as well as in Waterloo and Montreal. Shortly after getting together, they were also sent on a Chilean music exchange by the owner of the Concord Cafe.

After all their travels, has the NFO been able to define themselves any better? “Fine,” concedes Hyland. “We play complex jazz harmonies on pop progressions and rock out to funk-inspired bass lines. The musicianship is high. It challenges your ears, keeps you on your toes and makes you feel good. Happy?” I was.

I would definitely agree that NFO’s music is high energy. It pumps you up and makes you dance, but at the same time, it can also make you space out.

The other impressive thing about the Ninja Funk Orchestra is that they kept the project going while enrolled full-time in school. What sacrifices did Hyland personally have to make to keep things together?

“It took a lot of dedication and hard work,” he explains. “We rehearsed every other week, which kept the momentum of the project going. We also got together once a week for the Concord Jam, and then twice a week when we got a gig at the Four Seasons hotel at the end of 2007. That helped us save money for out first album, design and make the merchandise, and travel around to places like Montreal for Jazz fest. But we’re also music students, so of course, knowing that the time spent was related to our passion and career goals helped a lot.”

The Ninja Funk Orchestra plays the Arbor Room at Hart House Nov. 13 at 9 p.m. Admission is free.