On Thursday, Nov. 5, protestors braved the cold and hail for the Day of Action for a Poverty Free Ontario. Across the province, students, labour unions, and social justice and antipoverty groups pushed the Ontario government to support multi-year funding for new poverty reduction measures. The annual protest is traditionally organized by the Canadian Federation of Students as part of the Drop Fees campaign.

The protest’s focus and community involvement expanded this year, even as many participants noted that attendance decreased. “People are saying it’s a bit smaller,” said U of T student David Perry, playing his djembe as he moved through the streets. “People question why I support a protest, but we need to get the message out there.”

Before the event, U of T Students’ Union president Sandy Hudson predicted a higher turnout due to additional community involvement. “There are far more groups involved this year than there were last year. Last year was very, very student-focused and this year we have tied it into the broader issue of poverty,” Hudson said.

“The campaign is about sending a strong message to the government to make social services affordable and accessible to the province,” said Hadia Akhtar, VP external for UTSU.

As for the Drop Fees campaign, Hudson said “We’re hoping to get tuition fees reduced to 2004 levels, because that’s what the opposition parties have signed on to. The tuition fees framework that the government has been using to increase our fees for the last four years expires in December, so we’re trying to make an impact on that.”

St. George students gathered at Sid Smith before joining contingents from UTM, UTSC, Ryerson, and York. Other community organizations also joined the protest as it converged at Convocation Hall. The group then marched along Wellesley, south on Bay to College, and back to Queen’s Park.

A flatbed truck adorned with CFS logos led the protest, blasting music. Attendees waved placards as they marched, and some brought props and costumes. Ali Karin, a student from UTM, dressed as Drop Fees Man, a caped superhero battling against the government to drop fees.

“I see so many enthusiastic people,” said Doville Skersyte, UTM student and protest marshal. “It’s so wonderful that no matter what kind of weather it is, people are really enthusiastic.”

While Hudson’s goal may have to reduce fees to 2004 levels, many advocated for no tuition fees at all.

“We think there should be no fees for students and in fact all students should be paid a stipend,” said Elizabeth Rowley, Ontario Leader of the Communist Party. “We have always supported students fighting for a reduction of fees.”

At its peak, the protest stretched roughly half a city block. Some students, however, chose to watch the commotion from a distance rather than join in.

“The way to engage with the issue of tuition is to adopt a more constructive approach,” said Shakir Rahim, an exec on the Association of Political Science Students. “What is actually going to get results is to try to analyze where these two groups can come together and make the series of compromises that are necessary to find a realistic solution to the problem.”

“When I started at U of T, the Canadian Federation of Students was able to bring out large numbers of students to these protests,” said Gabe De Roche, international relations student and president of the U of T Liberals. “They didn’t need to meet on the patio of Sid Smith, they could meet on front campus. It looks like they printed too many signs.”