Health care reform may be a controversial issue in American politics, but to Dr. Carolyn Bennett, a Liberal MP who testified before the U.S. Special Senate Committee last September, it is a simple matter. Last Wednesday, Bennett came to Trinity College to speak with U of T students about Canadian and American health care at an event hosted by the International Relations Society and U of T Liberals.

“Should a woman hit by a drunk driver have to pay more health care than those lucky enough to escape such injury?” asked Bennett during her remarks to the Senate Committee. The U.S. spends $7,421 on health care per American compared to $5,170 spent per person in Canada. “For that extra $2,200 per person per year, your health outcomes should beat ours every time,” Bennett told the Senate. “But they don’t.”

After students watched video footage of Bennett’s testimony in New York, they asked questions and spoke about the pros and cons of American and Canadian health care systems, privatization of health services, and preventive health care. Bennett, an animated speaker, contrasted fierce opponents of universal health care in the U.S., who spoke “absolute nonsense” to make their case, with more open Conservatives in Canada. “Even the right-wing ministers [in Canada] are willing to speak about sustainability,” said Bennett.

“[Bennett’s] discussion of American entrepreneurial medicine still going for a system of ‘boys with their big toys,’ versus the emerging Canadian norm of a more team or community-based health system, brought me to a conclusion,” said second-year student Jonathan Scott, who is studying philosophy and literature. “I feel her argument could be summarized by suggesting that America remains a masculine country whereas Canada is now much more feminine, with the results open for all to see and debate.”

Though the Canadian health care system does a relatively excellent job, said Bennett, it is far from perfect. “You can’t get a job if you have a horrible mouth,” she stated, referring to the exclusion of dental health care from general health care coverage. Emphasizing the need for a more prevention-based care, she said, “We need to reward preventive practices instead of giving people the junk they don’t need. The ‘more is better’ mentality is just not quite true.”

Bennett added that Canada needs to go back to treating military families and strive to make health care more equitable. “We need three things: empowered patients, strong advocates, and engaged citizens, then we can make [health care] better in this country.”

“I found it interesting that the United States spends a significantly higher portion of its GDP on health care than Canada, but that its citizens, on average, receive a lower quality of care,” said first-year Trinity College student Alex Ognibene. “Equally interesting was Bennett’s proposal that medical systems focus more on maintaining and preserving health than simply providing health care.”

Dr. Carolyn Bennett is a former Minister of State for public health. Prior to her election as a member of parliament representing the Toronto riding of St. Paul, she was the president of the Medical Staff Association of Women’s College Hospital and an assistant professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Toronto.